‘Perks’ Stays True to Story

Contrary to popular belief, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” isn’t a self-help guide for shy people. Instead it is a charming coming-of-age film based on the 1999 novel of the same name. With a wonderful story and beautiful cinematography, “Perks” is definitely one to write home about. Starring Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, and Emma Watson in her first major post-“Potter” role, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is a hit in its entirety and deserves any praise received. But why is it called “The Perks of Being a Wallflower?” Well, it’s best explained by Patrick when he says, “He’s a wallflower. You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.”

Before starting his first day of high school, Charlie (Lerman) starts writing letters to a stranger to calm his nerves. He soon meets Sam and Patrick (Watson and Miller), two seniors who show him exactly what he’s been missing: loving friendships, unforgettable nights, and the feeling of being infinite. With every passing moment, Charlie goes through his journey of self-discovery with his newfound friends throughout the school year.

Certain casting choices may seem iffy at first glance, but there isn’t one actor who portrays his or her character poorly. Watson has finally broken away from the overachieving Hermione Granger and moved on to the supportive and non-judgmental girl that is Sam. “Perks” may seem like just another high school story, but it’s so much more than that. There isn’t a predictable happy ending, and nothing is ever perfect, much like real life at times.

In comparison to the book, “Perks” stays pretty true. After all, the screenwriter, Stephen Chbosky, was the novel’s original author. Like other movie adaptions, the book is much better and includes more detail. Though enjoyable on its own, you may not understand some of the quirks of the characters portrayed in the movie without enjoying the well-written novel first.

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is the perfect film for viewers of most ages. With a PG-13 rating (originally rated R), there are some slightly risqué situations that may not be suitable for a younger audience.

Regardless, “Perks” is well worth your time and money. The film is beautiful, charming, and guaranteed to leave you with a smile on your face, and maybe even a tear in your eye.