‘Silver Linings Playbook’ wins hearts

Oscar nomination announcements are just around the corner, so any movie with the slightest of possibilities of winning is catching viewers’ eyes. “Silver Linings Playbook” is one of many films rumored to be worthy of a nomination and it will deserve each and every one. This film is a beautifully charming dramatic and romantic comedy based off the novel of the same name. Starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, “Silver Linings Playbook” is a work of art with much to offer.

Pat (Cooper) has just been released from a mental health facility after eight months of treatment and placed in his parents’ care. He learns, among other things, that his wife has moved away. Pat is determined to get his life back in order and to make amends with his wife, who filed a restraining order on Pat after some violent activity that sent him away in the first place. Pat meets Tiffany (Lawrence), a recent widow and sister to his friend’s wife with issues of her own. They form a strange friendship that ends up being therapeutic for Pat. Tiffany promises to talk to Pat’s wife for him if he helps her with an upcoming dance competition. Pat agrees and the two start their rigorous training.

As previously stated, “Silver Linings Playbook” may be good enough for an Oscar nomination. The movie itself deserves credit, but no more than the main performances of Cooper and Lawrence. Bradley Cooper plays a believably OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and bipolar Pat, while Jennifer Lawrence’s performance as the unstable Tiffany is groundbreaking. Of these two actors, Jennifer Lawrence probably has a better shot at nabbing the award. She’s not only relatable in the sense of being broken, but she is hilarious during some of the more comical scenes. She flips from being pissed off to cracking open a beer and negotiating with Pat’s father in an instant.

This dark comedy is, as its genre may describe, dark and comedic, but there is also the romantic aspect of the film. Not necessarily tear jerking, but definitely heartwarming. Pat and Tiffany have a beautiful yet quirky connection from the beginning. Most, if not all, romantic comedies have a typically predictable ending. Is “Silver Linings Playbook” any different? “Silver Linings Playbook” shows a wide variety of talent, storytelling and emotion. It is a wonderful film that has much going for it.