Capture video made fun with Vine

What do you get with the ability to create and capture motion with sound that loops over and over just by pressing the screen for six seconds? You get a new mobile service called Vine.  What is Vine, you may ask? On Jan. 24, social media giant Twitter and Dom Hofmann, Co-founder & GM of Vine, introduced Vine as “a new mobile service that lets you create and share beautiful, short looping videos. With Vine, capturing life in motion is fun and easy.” One may think Vine as the Instagram for video where the user base continues to grow daily.

How to use Vine

Using Vine is really simple. The only thing you need to do is create an account linking with your Twitter account and just like that, you are ready to use Vine.  If you do not have Twitter, do not worry; you are able to create an account without one. They also have a short demonstration on how you would create a video which consists of touching the screen to capture the video then letting go of the screen to stop the action and you continue till the 6 seconds is up.  After you are done with the video it will upload and if you desire, it can be shared to your Twitter feed for everyone to see. Why only six seconds? What interest does Twitter have in this service?

”Our companies share similar values and goals; like Twitter, we want to make it easier for people to come together to share and discover what’s happening in the world. We also believe constraint inspires creativity, whether it’s through a 140-character Tweet or six-second video,” says Hofmann.

Yes, six seconds is not a lot of time to record anything fun at all. After spending a few days using Vine, it became clear that six seconds is plenty of time to do a quick video to share. Vine right now is without many faults although there are still bugs that Vine needs to address- especially coming from a person that is still using the iPhone 3GS that runs into the issue like the camera locking up and not ready for use. It is not the perfect app right now, but it is still worth getting.

What does Vine mean for you?

Vine is a fun social media app to use to create your own video shorts. Is it a game changer? Not by a long shot but a lot of celebrities that you follow on Twitter are currently using Vine to show off their daily quirkiness. Not only are celebrities are on Vine but many companies and sport teams are in on it as well. The Brooklyn Nets posted a Vine video on January 13 showing off the team as they warmed up so fans can be closer to the action. Currently Vine is only available for the iPhone and iPod touch. They are working on other platforms but there is no word on when they will be released.