Captain Phillips Academy Award Worthy

MCT

What was thought to be a possible academy nominated movie, definitely lived up to its hype and expectations. It was yet another intense thriller starring former Academy Award winner Tom Hanks and it grabbed the attention of everyone in the theater, keeping them on the edge of their seat.

Captain Richard Phillips(Tom Hanks)  portrays the true story of an everyday family man who happens to be a respected captain for a U.S. Cargo ship known as the Alabama. Hanks and his crew set out on what is a routine transport through the dangerous waters outside of Somalia, when a group of Somali pirates led by Muse(Barkhad Abdi) attempt to board the ship and take control of it.

After failing to capture the ship due to the crew over running the Somali pirates, Captain Phillips is unfairly abducted by the Somali men and taken to sea in an emergency life boat coming from the ship. The pirates try to take Phillips back to Somalia as they attempt to bribe and negotiate with the U.S. Navy who is right on their tail.

Hanks plays the part beautifully as he lets the great screenplay writing of Billy Ray and Richard Phillips himself take over through his acting. In the film, Hanks treats the situation as any man would and not as the usual dramatic Hollywood screen play would show it. You feel and see the fear and anxiety in Captain Phillips as he slowly tries to persuade the pirates into believing he has their best interest when doing everything he can to save his crew.

Overall, Hanks played part in a movie where his acting can only be compared to his previous Academy Award winning performance in the film “Cast Away” directed by Robert Zemeckis. After all the great reviews from countless newspapers and magazines it would seem to be surprising if you don’t see this movie and Actor among those nominated come February when the Academy Awards will be hosted.