Mesa Dance Co. Play the Floor

Mesa College Dance Company presented “Play the Floor,” a dance showcase that took place at the Joan B. Kroc Theatre in San Diego from Nov. 7 to 9.

The program was a collaboration of what the students have been working on throughout the fall semester. The 90-minute presentation consisted of 12 performances showcasing a wide range of genres spanning the history of music, from classical and salsa to hip-hop, electro and dubstep.

The opening act featured the violinist, Kristopher Apple, who engaged the audience with a heartwarming introduction. Mesa College Dance Company also paid a loving tribute to Elena Rose Schleich, a dance performer from California State University, Long Beach, who passed away after her battle with cancer in 2007.

The wardrobe served as another fitting addition to the ensemble, every costume complementing the music, dance and lighting to deliver a vivid performance.

“The dance performance was captivating. So many emotions are expressed through dance. I came to watch my favorite dancer and brought her a bouquet of roses,” said Melissa Lopez, an audience member.

The next iteration of the program, the 2014 Spring Dance Concert, is scheduled to take place from March 27 to 29, and for those interested, Mesa College Dance Company will host auditions on Feb. 1, 2014 at noon. For more information, contact Jan Ellis at 619-388-2428 or jellis@sdccd.edu.