Joshua White Quintet reflects booming San Diego jazz scene

Attend a performance by any number of San Diego’s accomplished jazz musicians, and you can expect to be moved by the sincere sentiment and captivating energy of its players. UCSD’s ambient venue, The Loft, hosts a variety of these musicians, more recently presenting the Joshua White Quintet on Oct. 10. The occasion illustrated the musical prowess prevalent in San Diego’s jazz scene, featuring players with a wealth of experience. Pianist Joshua White, the group’s leader, is a 29-year-old with a diverse background; according to White’s website, his training in classical and gospel music preceded his exposure to jazz. Upon deciding to concentrate his studies in the genre, he began working with an array of talented musicians in the field, characterizing his playing with creativity and skill.

Members of the quintet included Mark Dresser on bass, Michael Dessen on trombone, Gavin Templeton on alto saxophone and bass clarinet, Kjell Nordeson on percussion, and White on piano. Throughout the performance, the players weaved in and out of tunes with intention, informed by the musical choices of one another. When a member would choose not to play, he could be observed attending intently to the music surrounding him; White could be seen hunched over the piano seemingly in concentration, Dessen listening with eyes closed and a grin on his face.

In speaking with Dresser during intermission, he conveyed that the entire program was improvised. He believed they began the set with directions to start sparse, stating that things can get dense easily. Indeed, one of the most notable features of the performance was the coordination of the players with one another. They utilized a variety of textures and ranges on their respective instruments while accomplishing collective movement between moments of intense force and thoughtful quiet.

White’s playing also characterized itself by a remarkable intensity and passion. He could be seen gliding his fingers across the length of the piano during solos, utilizing quick and forceful playing in one moment and gentle articulations in another. Observing White play is a breathtaking experience, and the interactions of the quintet’s players with one another on stage an admirable capability. San Diegans can discover the dates of ongoing performances of Joshua White by visiting his website, and can look forward to many more events connecting live jazz music to the people of the city.