Futuristic transportation

Futuristic+transportation

The Solowheel was created by Chinese inventor Shane Chen. First presented in 2010 at the Bike Expo in Las Vegas, Nevada and remarkably inspired by unicycles, its purpose is to make transportation as simple, portable and eco-friendly as possible.

New technology provides for better and faster tools to make human existence easier. And when it comes to transportation, Chen has made sure to take advantage of all these technological advances.

As published on the Solowheel official website, in 2003 Chen founded Inventist Inc., a company with the intent of developing mainstream ideas and inventions. One of their first and very successful products is The AquaSkipper, a “human-powered hydrofoil watercraft”, in other words: a scooter-like platform that allows you to glide through the water while standing up with a variation of leg movements. It’s success allowed Chen to create other products later on such as the Solowheel and Hovetrax

To make transportation easier for everyone, Inventist Inc. came up with the concept of creating something that would allow you to cruise up to 10mph while balancing yourself on one-single electric wheel. The physics behind it lies on simulating the gliding motion and balance that the body creates when ice skating. How? “With your feet low to the ground and your legs resting against the pads, your lower body acts as one unit, like skating on one skate.”

Solowheel is just a wheel. No brake pedal, no accelerator, no seat, and no steering wheel. It is controlled by your body and your feet; lean forward to go forward, lean back to slow down or stop, and pivot your feet to shift direction. It is built with top-notch technology, an eco-friendly design with zero emissions, it is user-friendly and it is as portable as the size of a briefcase that includes a carrying handle.

On a review posted on Men’s Health Magazine by Eric Adams, he says that although it takes a couple tries to get the hang of the Solowheel, it is a refreshing and intriguing learning experience “big part of the thrill came from the learning curve, and the immense satisfaction that comes from the persistence and eventual triumph over a demanding piece of gear,” said Adams.

Although this fancy ride is a futuristic innovation that anyone would enjoy, only people willing to spend between $1,500 to $1,700 dollars will get the chance to experiment riding the Solowheel, at least for now.