‘Reflections’ promises a look back at former dance professor

The Mesa College Dance Company is at it again. Following the incredible spectacle appropriately titled “Elements,” the dance professors have been busy crafting together the next jaw-dropping showcase which seems to be shaping up as the biggest yet.
Back in Spring, the company had given us “Elements,” an entirely student choreographed show featuring only student dancers in each piece. This semester, things are different. Every piece was choreographed by a faculty member with the students performing once again.
Not unfamiliar to the dance company, this had been the case for years. Each semester it would switch from teacher’s choreographing to students taking the lead. Usually, it would be set up with faculty in the Fall and students in the Spring. This is definitely a great way to keep things fresh and to reach as many creative minds as possible.
The upcoming show titled “Reflections” features over 60 students, ranging from incoming first semester students to those that could be going into their eighth semester. Some students are dance majors, others being minors as well as any students who wanted to try it for fun or recreation.
The title “Reflections” was decided on in honor of the recently retired Jan Ellis. Ellis had been one of the dance instructors at Mesa for many years so to honor her, “Reflections” was born. In the program, several styles are featured including ballet, hip hop, tap and many more.
Aulani Chun, another dance instructor at Mesa played a big role in putting together “Reflections.” One of the pieces she choreographed is a classical/contemporary fusion piece featuring 14 dancers, six being men. She is very excited to pay tribute to Ellis and also excited for the audience to take away a few things from the experience.
“Educationally, I would want people to understand the various forms of dance,” Chun explained. “As far as entertainment, hopefully they can learn to appreciate dance and be able to come and see it more often than during the semester. Our community has a lot of other programs.”
Robert Cunningham, a second year dance major at Mesa is one of the six men to be featured in Chun’s piece. This is his second time being a part of the showcase and his first time in the faculty choreographed one.
“I feel like with students it’s different because you know them on a more personal level from working with them in class. The faculty on the other hand have more experience and they know how to get more of what they want out of the piece,” Cunningham stated.
“Reflections” seems to have quite the variety of dances and a very talented group of performers. There are even rumors surrounding a special tribute to Ellis in the second act. Ellis herself could even show up. There’s only one way to find out.
Go out and support the Mesa College Dance Company by seeing “Reflections” which will be held at the Joan B. Kroc Theater located at 6611 University Ave. on Nov. 12,13 and 14 at 7:30p.m.