A look into the Mingei International Museum

The Mingei International Museum at Balboa Park brings together folk art, craft, and design from various cultures throughout the world.

This exhibit was open from April 2 through Oct. 2.

The Mingei art style looks at everyday objects as something that can be beautiful too. From tables to shoes, anything can be art.

Mingei is formed from two Japanese words: “min” which means people and “gei” which means art. This explains the Mingei motto “Art of the World. Art of the People.”

Throughout the exhibit there are eight passages, from the introductory essay to The Unknown Craftsman by Dr. Soetsu Yanagi. The passages are numbered one through eight and if followed in order, take you through Dr. Yanagi’s way of thinking. Dr. Yanagi is the one who originally came up with the word “Mingei.”

Upon entering the museum, guests get the privilege of viewing various pieces of art from artist Erik Gronborg, whose specific exhibit will remain open until March 12, 2017.

The exhibit features many unique pieces like the Christ Window, which features Jesus crucified in aluminum over red and blue stained glass. Another piece of Gronborg’s work that was put on display was a large painting hung on a wall, portraying a living area full of various pieces of colorful furniture. In the background there were paintings and shelves, one of which displayed Gronborg’s signature if one looks closely enough.

One of the bigger pieces literally and figuratively was the Angel of Temperance, representing one of the 22 figures in a deck of Tarot cards. Niki de Saint Phalle, who was close friends with the late Martha Longenecker (founder of the Mingei International Museum), created the sculpture in 1998. The sculpture is made of molded, painted polyester with gold leaf. The angel is considered the spirit guardian of the Mingei Museum.

Guided tours are given daily at 2 p.m. Private group tours can be scheduled at a discounted rate by calling the Educational Department at 619-704-7495 or email at education@mingei.org The price for regular admission is $10 and only $7 for members, students, and faculty.

The museum has multiple membership levels ranging in price from $50 to $1250 that is either fully or partly tax-deductible.