San Diego Made continues first Thursday events

Creator Amanda Desteel of “Home Girl Designs” shares two of her favorite products.

The monthly San Diego Made first Thursday event was held at the Lafayette Hotel on Nov. 3, and consisted of multiple different vendors selling their self-created products.

San Diego Made is an organization that has come together in hopes to promote the theory of shop local, buy local,” which encourages shoppers to support local economy by purchasing products created by small businesses in the area. The organization gathers different artists and creators from the San Diego area to form a market where visitors can shop for unique goods and enjoy live music. San Diego Made was founded in 2014 by local makers Brittany Kaszas, Brook Dailey, Sarah Lowry,  and Kristin Dinnis. Since then, San Diego Made has been hosting their farmers market style events for shoppers to enjoy. On the first Thursday of every month the San Diego Made members come together to display their creations and sell them to the public.

For the November event, vendors were selling a wide selection of items ranging from handmade mugs and self-sewn ties, to home-cooked caramel candies. Music was presented by Mason James, whos folky tone enhanced the overall atmosphere of the room. San Diego Made also has the goal of supporting local musicians, and James shared that he was very excited to be playing for this event.

Each seller was proud to share their items and clearly pleased to be a part of the San Diego Made community. Amanda Dasteel, creator of the home decor business Home Girl Designs,” has been selling her products through San Diego Made for one year. Dasteel shared that she feels the event is a great way to network.

Other sellers were also excited about their opportunity to share their work through this outlet, like Nancy Flint from Sugar Mama Caramels.”Flint said that San Diego made is a very supportive and welcoming environment.

Shopper Amanda Hysen shared that as her first time visiting the San Diego Made First Thursday Event, she was impressed with the unique, homemade objectsand pleased that everyone was very welcoming and nice. The shopping experience was coupled with a bar for beverages so visitors could enjoy drinks while exploring different goods that were being offered.

While the November event has passed, there are two additional future events to attend. On Dec. 4, San Diego Made will be hosting their Holiday Market, which is said to feature all their usual vendors, along with holiday and winter-themed goods. These goods include food, drinks, music, games and even a photo booth. This event will be held at the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club and Bungalows off of El Cajon Blvd, and will begin at 11 a.m. and last until 6 p.m. There is a $5 entrance fee at the door, and the first 100 people in line will also receive a free swag bag, which will contain a variety of small items from different sellers.

On Dec. 8, the San Diego Made First Thursday event will continue, but will fall on the second Thursday instead. The event will take place from 6:30-9:30 p.m., and will also be held at the Lafayette Hotel.