Earth Day Preview

San Diego is gathering together for national Earth Day on April 22 with events around the campus and even city. Every year people worldwide unite to celebrate with activities, events and organizations to embrace Earth’s offering, spread awareness and educate. San Diego Mesa college will be having an early donation “Food Drive for Earth Day” hosted by The Stand on April 18 at Sunrise Plaza from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the city is hosting its 29th Annual Earth Day at Balboa Park on April 22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Many students are affected by food insecurity and The Stand makes it their mission to help provide students with more stability by making health services available and offering clothing for job interviews so students can further their education and careers. Sunrise Plaza will be hosting their booth to encourage all students to bring what they can and to sustain a healthy student population.

Earth Day at Balboa Park is free and open to all ages with activities and shows for everyone’s age group. There will be a Children’s Activity Area with a performance from the popular Dr. Wilderness at the Magic stage. Local artists and bands will perform at the Moon Stage and Sun Stage. With Food Pavilions around every corner and a parade at 10:30 a.m. by Spanish Village, every hour will be packed with things to do so clear your whole day and be ready for some Earth action!

Over 60,000 attendees are expected with the help of over 300 volunteers and 300 exhibitors; the community is coming together for a number of great causes and spreading awareness. Environmental organizations like wildlife preservation, organic and natural products, conservational groups, gardening, ecotourism, energy vehicles, health products and much more. The eARTh Gallery will be using recycled materials to showcase endangered species on the lawn next to President’s Way. The festival’s goal this year is zero-waste event compared to last year’s 90% diversion rate from landfills so each year they strive for better. “Trash-talkers” will be around each garbage area to assist in which bins waste should go and to also educate attendees about positive waste habits.  

Everyone is welcomed to join and participate whether it’s at Mesa College or Balboa Park, there will be Earth Day festivities for all people in many places so be sure to save the date!