“Life Itself” has audience reaching for tissues and critics rolling their eyes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Happy couple Will (Oscar Isaac) and Abby (Olivia Wilde) share a sweet embrace in the streets of New York City.

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Tribune News Service

Isadora Troncoso, Photography Editor

The producers from NBC’s hit drama show “This Is Us” brought their most recent feature, ”Life Itself,” to the big screen on Sep. 21. The movie takes the viewer on a passionate ride about life and how each person uniquely tells their story. The purpose of everything is only clear towards the ending which at some times might be a little frustrating. Critics didn’t hold back with negative feedback (the movie currently scores 12% on Rotten Tomatoes) while the audience seemed to have responded in a more positive way. Either way, this feature, in true “This Is Us” fashion, completes its task of stirring up all sorts of emotions – most times, taking them to the extreme.

The plot follows multiple couples from different generations all connected by a single event. The movie indeed shows a little trouble when it comes to developing each narrative as its own. At least in the beginning the surprising, and yet at the same time predictable, turn of events leaves the audience in a constant state of agitation by showing that anything can happen in a literal blink of an eye.

However, the way the ending came together should’ve been more acclaimed since it managed to somehow make the audience walk out with a philosophical life lesson learned. Still, not even the outstanding cast on its own (Olivia Wilde, Oscar Isaac, Mandy Patinkin, Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas) is able to make up for the messy plot holes and lazy storytelling aspects.

If anything, the plot of this movie serves as a reminder of how fragile life is and how it is never too late to make things right. Drama enthusiasts are guaranteed to enjoy at least some part of it. Just a friendly reminder: make sure to stock up on those Kleenex.

• “Life Itself” has audience reaching for tissues and critics rolling their eyes

Crime

I Smell Gunpowder: Shooting at Asian Bistro (First Hand Account)

Sports

Mesa Baseball wins one, loses one

Crime

Paintball Poser

Financial Literacy talks budgeting during the holidays