Designers, models prepare for 30th annual Golden Scissors fashion show

The fashion department at San Diego Mesa College is preparing for the 30th Golden Scissors Fashion Show and Awards Gala, to be held on Friday May 13.

This prestigious annual production will take place at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina on Harbor Island and will feature the works of student designers from Mesa College. Before the couture-dressed models walk the runway in the newest fashions, a great deal of work is needed to make sure that the show goes smoothly.

Taylor Caldwell, who is a fashion major at Mesa College, drew the logo for this year’s show and has been a student in the department for three years.  Caldwell describes her design style as being “whimsical, I also like steampunk sort of stuff and I like to use color-blocking”.

After a long process of brainstorming, designing and sewing together looks, Caldwell’s first collection will walk down the runway at the Golden Scissors. She said, “I found there was a class that showed actual collections, and that was my goal, to be in that class,” she will proudly have five looks in this year’s show revolving around a red, black and white color scheme.

In last year’s show, Caldwell showed two looks, modeled by lifetime friend and Mesa College culinary arts major Megan Kinsey, who will make her second runway appearance in the upcoming show.

Standing at five feet and eight inches tall, Kinsey has always had an interest in modeling, but she “never really had the confidence” until Caldwell asked her to appear in last year’s show. Kinsey said that “It’s for fun, it’s not serious like everyone thinks it is.”

Along with Caldwell, there will be individual looks from many other fashion students, including about 20 full collections featured during the show. In addition to the student work there will be two guest designers showing their most recent work.

The cost of tickets at the door is $25, but if purchased in advance, tickets sell at $15 for students and $20 for general admission. The cost to reserve VIP tickets is $50 per person, which allows the bearer to attend the pre-show reception.

The proceeds from the ticket prices, silent auction and opportunity drawing will benefit Mesa College’s fashion department.