Jane Eyre will please both fans of English literature and movie goers

Perfectly scripted, cast and executed, the newest film rendition of Charlotte Brontë’s “Jane Eyre” is full of powerful emotions and is certain to please both fans of English literature and cinema-junkies alike.

It is always perplexing how Hollywood can ruin such amazing pieces of classic literature, so audiences should be thankful to director Cary Fukunaga and screenwriter Moira Buffini for keeping the integrity of “Jane Eyre” intact.

This film, and the classic novel that it is based on, tells the story of Jane Eyre, played by Mia Wasikowska, and the events that led to her leaving her governess position in the home of Mr. Rochester, played by Michael Fassbender.

After a painful early childhood that included Jane’s loss of both of her parents, an abusive cousin and living with an aunt who thinks she is a compulsive liar, the young Jane, played by Amelia Clarkson, is placed in boarding school. Years of being smacked by rulers and memorizing lessons mold Jane into a the prim, young governess who arrives at Mr. Rochester’s estate to teach Adele Varens, played by Romy Settborn.

Nights of witty banter between Jane and Mr. Rochester build a friendship, through which Jane finds herself falling in love. It is not long though before she realizes that he is hiding a dark secret within the walls of his home.

Wasikowska is the perfect Jane Eyre; though beautiful her look is also somewhat plain and her performance in the role is absolutely exquisite. Fassbender displays the perfect balance between being a rugged, older gentleman and his gentle, passionate side. The onscreen chemistry between Wasikowska and Fassbender is fiery and intriguing and the two actors play off each other wonderfully.

The young actresses in this film show a cinematic range not often seen in supporting characters. Clarkson embodies the restless, young Jane so well that you forget that her screen time is minimal. Settborn as Jane’s pupil Adele is charming in her role as the young, French orphan.

“Jane Eyre” will inspire audience members to go home and actually read the book – a notion which died long ago with the invention of Cliff’s Notes. Some scenes will tug your heartstrings, while others will engage you to laugh at the dark and dry British humor.

The cast brings life to the classic novel with a spectrum of emotional depth that is sure not to disappoint.