“Norbit”: Murphy’s Comedic Comeback

Eddie Murphy makes his comedic comeback in “Norbit.” Revising his ability to play multiple roles like he did in “Nutty Professor II: The Klumps” and “Coming to America,” Murphy truly shows off his comedic talent.

Norbit (Eddie Murphy) is your typical loveable geek, framed with thick lenses, a lisp and an afro that the 70’s would be proud of. He finds himself orphaned and being raised in a Chinese restaurant by Mr. Wong, his adoptive father who is constantly reminding him that he is the ugliest baby he has ever seen. Mr. Wong is by far Murphy’s funniest character in the film filled with nasty comments and politically incorrect statements yet still managing to be wise in the process.

Flash forward a few years and Norbit is married to Rasputia (also played by Murphy) the only other girl besides his childhood sweetheart that paid any attention to him. Constantly at the mercy of Bridezilla, he stays around to be her personal fool for the whole town to watch. Whether Rasputia is walking around a water park in a hot pink bikini or daring to wash her car in a white shirt and Daisy Dukes, she manages to make a fool of Norbit.

Rasputia is the wife from hell. She is a big girl with a mouth that could scare Rosie O’Donnell away. Every time she is done running her mouth she finishes it off with a tired saying “How you doin’?” This can get annoying very quickly. A complete stereotype of that big girl who is always bullying someone smaller than them, Rasputia manages to consume the movie in more ways than one.

Everything seems to be going wrong for Norbit until his childhood love Kate (Thandie Newton) comes back to town. Kate, who is overly sweet and naive, manages to capture Norbit’s heart again. Suddenly Norbit begins to question his marriage to Rasputia. But with Kate’s fianc