Metric Unplugged at House of Blues

The lead singer of Metric, Emily Haines, stole the show at the House of Blues in downtown on October 3. The tiny girl on stage wore a quirky zebra dress with practically see-through silver sparkly leggings and wedge heels.

A disoriented Haines gets on the microphone and says, “I thought we were at the Casbah,” referring to a famous music venue.

Yet, before the crowd can make any judgments, her voice and impressive synthesizer skills exceed all expectations. Their lyrics are filled with everyday concepts anyone could relate to: how rock and roll is dead, being fed up with life, wanting to find love.

After a few songs she grabs the microphone off the stand and sits down for a sip of water.

As she begins to introduce the other band members you realize she’s not speaking with an accent. Her singing voice has this different sound to it that convinces you she’s British or Dutch or something. No, she’s Canadian, but talks just like a California girl, who just happens to have a very unique singing voice.

Haines has short stringy blond hair and she throws it around so violently she could head bang with the best of them. Her goofy dance moves make everyone smile and encourages them to bounce to the beats of Metric.

Haines isn’t the only talent in Metric, though. Fellow Canadian natives, guitarist James Shaw and bassist Joshua Winstead rock the house along with drummer Joules Scott Key.

Their sounds are nostalgic, bringing listeners back the 70’s. With a mix of new wave and indie, the band has the most unique sound.

Their fans are wild and passionate, desperately screaming out titles to songs they’re dying to hear. “Play ‘The Twist’,” screams a fan. “Pleeease play ‘The Twist’.”

Haines interacts with the crowd often. “Who would you rather be,” she shouts, “the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?”

She decides the majority of the crowd chose the Rolling Stones. “That doesn’t surprise me, San Diego,” she says, “I love you guys.”

Currently there are no future Metric shows in San Diego posted. Refer to ilovemetric.com for dates and appearances.