CD Review: MGMT

About 40 years ago, after the summer of love. MGMT’s(Management) Andrew Van Wyngarden and Ben Goldwasser decided to put together a psychedelic indie-rock sounding album.

The duo’s full-length album “Oracular Spectacular” sucks you in with melodies you can sing along to.

Dave Fridmann, knownw for work done with the Flaming Lips, produced the album. Fridmann also plays bass for Mercury Rev.

Drums and keys are really the secret to the album. It’s a mixture of classic sounds and turning them new in their own way.

The album has witty lines such as, ” Lets make some music, make some money, find some models for wives/I’ll go to Paris take some heroin, and fuck with the stars.”

Beegee’s disco era sounding “Electric feel,” is one of the songs that catches you with the chorus, “.said ohh girl, you shock me like an electric eel”. “Pieces of what,” with acoustic guitar melody and the song “the handshake” put you in a playful, carefree, peculiar mood.

According to Rolling Stone Magazine, The key track on the album is “Time to Pretend.” According to the magazine, “space-rock gem mocks the clichéd coke-and-hookers rock-star lifestyle, over big synth whooshes.” “This is our decision to live fast and die young,” (Time to pretend). Time to pretend proudly proclaim.

MGMT’s music is different simply because they provide rare yet,incredible, melodies.

In MGMT’s bio review, the band said they played shows and, “a lot of people hated it.” Most people left the show. “That used to be the goal for our shows,” claim Wyngarden, and Goldwasser.

Unlike a couple of bands that knew they wanted to go big in Hollywood and have fans like them, MGMT is different. “It was an accident that people started liking us,” said Wyngarden.

The band started out on an indie-rock label, “Cantora Records,” formed by a group of fans from NYU. Their first EP had six tracks including “Time to pretend” and “Kids,” which now are included in “Oracular Spectacular.”

After their first EP was released, the duo decided to take a six-month break.

After they re-united, they began working on their latest, “Oracular Spectacular.” The album came out January 22, and is now available for purchase.

ALL MUSIC says the band is “making it a solid start to their career.”