Another guaranteed hit thriller

Another guaranteed hit thriller

The years most anticipated horror film, Paranormal Activity 2 topped the box office charts the weekend of Oct 25. After the very successful first Paranormal Activity, it was only a matter of time before the sequel came out. Like the first film, which cost only 15,000 to make, Paranormal 2 is low-budget movie that is raking in the dough. Although this is the second movie, those who have seen the first know that the 2nd is more of a prequel than a sequel. Those who had questions after watching the first one will have most answered in this film. Don’t avoid it if you’ve never seen the first. This movie stands on its own for the most part. A suspense that keeps building until the very end, will keep your heart racing.

Husband Dan Rey, Wife Ali, Daughter Kristi, and baby Hunter move into a quaint new home together. After a few weeks of normality, the family experiences what they suspect as a break in. The family then hires a surveillance team to set up cameras all throughout the house to catch any other intruders. After the cameras are in place, the family starts to notice that strange things are happening around their house, and are able to prove it with the footage. Unexplainable events ranging from falling pots and pans and doors closing on their own to levitating babies and people being dragged through hallways begin happening, all on camera. Night after night the experiences get worse until the horror peaks. The end of this movie answers questions and gives insight to those who have seen the first one.

Paranormal 2 was quite slow the first hour or so; the occasion of dish falling, creaking step, or crying baby, but as the movie progresses, you get thrown into a whole new movie where you’re digging your fingers into your armrests and forgetting to breathe. It may have better if the suspense and horror gradually increased, but it’s missing none of the gore and spine-chilling aspects the first one gave.

Overall the movie was worth the ticket price but is one of those movies that will only be good in a dark theater. Don’t wait for this one to come to DVD. If you are a fan of supernatural horrors, this is the movie you’ve been waiting for this fall. Be sure to go with people who are easily scared; their screams make this movie so much better.