People watching and great food draw crowds to Kensigton

Tucked away in the heart of Kensington is the quaint, affordable and always delicious Kensington Café, which is the perfect spot for breakfast, lunch or a light evening snack, located at 4141 Adams Ave.

From the patio of Kensington Café your eyes can feast upon a vibrant display of people watching. Parents push their joyous tots on the swings across the street, older residents read library books on park benches and corporate drones fervently shuffle in and out of the neighborhood Starbuck’s en route to meetings.

While dining at the Café, the last thing on your mind is the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The friendly service, serene green walls and amazingly eclectic menu – featuring everything from waffles to salads to quesadillas to pizzas – will cancel out any of the mundane tasks that you may have to face once you leave the premises.

The breakfast menu is available all day and has a tempting array of egg scrambles, waffle plates and bagel sandwiches. The Margherita egg scramble has a vibrant flavor from the fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese that are folded into the fluffy blend of eggs. Another must try is The Daniel sandwich with layers of turkey, bacon, provolone cheese and the option of eggs on an everything bagel.

For lunch the Surf Rider tuna sandwich is always a crowd pleaser. Betwixt two slices of toasted whole wheat bread is a healthy helping of spinach, tomatoes, sprouts and an albacore tuna salad made with a medley of red bell peppers, red onion and capers.

The Ken Club sandwich is one of the best sandwiches that you will find in San Diego. With turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and gorgonzola spread on sourdough bread your heart will melt from the very first bite.

The flatbread pizza is a great plate to share with friends, though after you get a taste of it you will be less willing to do so. The bread is topped with creamy and pungent gorgonzola cheese, smoky chunks of bacon and sweet caramelized onions with a side baby green salad making it a perfectly balanced tapa.

The menu also features a daily seasonal egg scramble, waffle plate and salad. Stop in soon for the simple, but flavorful Strawberry Fields salad because it won’t be there forever. The baby greens are lightly tossed in balsamic vinaigrette and topped with strawberries, blueberries, feta cheese and slivers of toasted almonds.

If you can’t decide between their many enticing menu options you can have a “Little of This, Little of That”. With this option you can choose smaller portions of two of their sandwiches, salads, soups or chili.

The pastry case at Kensington Café is always full of a variety of sweets, but when it comes to dessert revert back to your campfire days and order the s’mores. Served tableside it will add a unique and fun ending to your meal.