Movie Review: Hop to movie theaters for a new holiday classic

Santa has always been the one seasonal character to hold the monopoly on holiday-themed movies in Hollywood, but the release of the Easter themed “Hop” shows that chocolate bunnies, colored eggs and fuzzy, yellow chicks have a place on the silver screen as well.

“Hop”, directed by Tim Hill, stars the helplessly loveable James Marsden as the first human Easter Bunny, Fred O’Hare – yes, all pun intended – whose slacker mentality has led him to become the O’Hare family’s shame. His long stretch of joblessness and continuance to live at home well into his 20s has even prompted his family to hold an intervention. After being confronted by his family, Fred declares that he will have a new job and a new life in two weeks, just in time for Easter.

The movie starts off by introducing the audience to the movie’s other main character E.B., the voice of Russell Brand, who is a bongo-loving, young bunny and of course lives on Easter Island. E.B. is the son and heir apparent to the Easter Bunny, featuring the voice of Hugh Laurie, who runs a Willy Wonka-like candy factory where anything less than faultless is simply not tolerated.

As E.B. grows older, he realizes that his dad’s idealistic view of perfection is something he cannot live up to. Wanting to pursue a career as a drummer, E.B. runs away to Hollywood to follow his dream and avoid his Easter coronation.

Once in Los Angeles, it is not long before E.B. has a run-in with Fred, literally getting hit by his car while Fred is en route to dog-sit for his sister’s boss, played by Kaley Cuoco. Instead of dealing with the hassle of insurance agencies, E.B. asks to stay with Fred as payment for his injuries.

Back on Easter Island, E.B.’s father begins to worry about his runaway son, so he sends the “pink berets” to bring him home. Carlos, the head chick in the candy factory, featuring the voice of Hank Azaria, begins a coup d’état attempt for the Easter Bunny’s position, hilariously stating that it is French for “coup d’état.”

Usually crude in his comedic endeavors, Brand easily makes the transition to family-appropriate humor in his role as the Easter Bunny’s heir. The comedic timing between Brand and Marsden is absolutely on point, making the movie enjoyable for both children and their parents – or college-aged students looking for a little pre-final distraction.