Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks come to Mesa

Harriet Tubman graced Mesa College with her presence as part of Black/ Women’s History month. And spoke about her days as the leader of the Underground Railroad, and the unique methods which where used to navigate people to freedom.

Tubman was played by Waddy Thibodeaux, a historical reenactor who came to perform at Mesa form Texas. Thibodeaux also played the role of Rosa Parks. She relived the day when Parks refused to get up from her seat, and launched the Montgomery Bus Boycott in hopes to end racial segregation.

“This performance was extremely important, I ranked it a 10, lots of positive information about these great women, information I could expand on,” said Mesa student Roman Shedaker.

During the performance, Thibodeaux changed costumes as she changed characters. Not only did the clothing change but so did the mannerisms and tone of voice. She made the audience believe it was Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks who were actually in the room educating the audience about American history.

” To educate people about African American History, Chicano History is to educate people about American History,” said Professor of African American Studies Starla Lewis.

Throughout the performance a central message was brought out by Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman, the importance of teaching the community how to read.

” You all sitting here, free being able to go to school and read, I wish I could go to school and learn how to read,” said Thibodeaux as Tubman.

The historian believes that Tubman and other prominent women in history would be saddened and disappointed by the number of people in today’s society who can’t read at grade level. She encouraged all students in attendance to teach someone how to read if they are not at skill level.

” It was surprising that so many do not read at grade level and the reading levels are going down. I will do my part to teach some how to read,” said Shedaker.

At the end of the performance, Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman left the conference room with the hope that students will take the initiative and do their part to ensure the entire community could read and become educated.