Students Protest Budget Cuts

Students Protest Budget Cuts

Students from San Diego’s City, Mesa and Miramar campuses gathered at San Diego City College on Sept. 9 to protest recent budget cuts by the California State Legislature; cuts that are now severely affecting students and faculty of the San Diego Community College District.

Protesters on the lawn at A Street and Park Boulevard chanted, “No More Cuts!” over Bob Marley’s “Get Up, Stand Up.” Signs everywhere read, “Stop Stealing Our Future,” “Save Our Classes,” “You’re Killing Our Education,” and “No More Budget Cuts.”

With registration fees and the student population continuing to rise this year, the cuts are falling hard on students and faculty. The problem is supposed to worsen, as the weakening economy is compelling many of those in the work force to return to school.

“It’s been crowded,” said Elizabeth McKee, a 21-year-old full-time Business Management major at City College. “I couldn’t afford my health fee, so I got dropped from the classes that I did sign up for, and the wait-listing was killer. If it continues, it’ll be real hard to even register for classes because so many people will be trying to get into those classes.”

Elizabeth Woodin, 19, is a full-time student at Mesa College and a Senator for the Associated Students Government. She plans to transfer in the spring but balancing her work schedule with limited class availability has become increasingly challenging.

“You aren’t assured that you’re going to be able to do what you need to do,” said Woodin. “Working my schedule around work and everything is really hard now ’cause you have to get night classes and stuff to be able to get all the classes you need.”

The population spike at community colleges this semester is also due to rising fees and budget cuts at four-year institutions. With over 3 million people attending college in California, many students have not been able to afford increased tuition at their schools. They have been taking financial refuge by earning their credits at one of the state’s 110 less expensive community colleges, which are already spread too thin.

“I think it’s going to be really hard for the students that are transferring from here to a university because the impact here is like 10 times worse there,” said 21-year-old Dalia Lukolo. “You have to focus on taking care of yourself; you’re thinking about money, so in essence, you’re more worried about surviving on your own than you are about getting your education.”

Lukolo and her friend, 19-year-old Imani Mulzac, are both Nursing majors attending City College this semester because of budget cuts at California State University Los Angeles and California State University Dominguez Hills. They are now among the 70 percent of all new nurses trained in California at a community college. The transition has not been easy for them.

“I actually thought it was going to be a lot easier when I was coming down here,” said Mulzac. “I remember the first day. My class was supposed to be less than 30 students, and there were over 40 people in there, sitting on the floor. It’s put a lot of stress on the students this year, especially when they’re not flexible anymore with the adding and dropping.”

The budget cuts at community colleges will also affect student club funding, reduce the amount of elective classes available, and increase the maximum number of students in classrooms.

“A lot of people go to community college because they can’t get into another college or because of funding so you want to make the most of it and this is really hurting that effect,” Woodin said. “People aren’t really able to have fun with it and really get involved in their experience.”