New President brings experience to Mesa

Recently, San Diego Mesa College hired Dr. Pamela Luster as the new president of the college.  For those unfamiliar with how campus government works, the president functions as the chief executive officer of Mesa College.

Luster brings with her the experience of a career that spans over thirty years of involvement with a number of community colleges.  Luster’s past experience includes but is not limited to a number of positions at Las Positas College where she served as the Vice President of Student Services, Interim Vice President of Academic Services, and Dean of Academic Services.  Before her work at Las Positas College Luster worked at West Valley College for a number of years during which she served many roles including Dean of Career Education and Workforce Development.

When detailing her view on what it means to be campus president, Luster explained “I look at it as being the coach of a very large team and one where I can bring my 30 years of experience in community colleges as an adjunct instructor, as a full time faculty member, as an assistant dean, all the different roles that I’ve played, and I can really help people be successful in the roles that they have in support of our students.”

In response to questions regarding her goals for Mesa College Luster responded “Long-term the fiscal viability of the institution and how we balance our resources is something that I’m going to pay attention to.” adding soon after “Doing all of that also includes making sure that our students are being successful.  So it’s not just about the money it’s about what we’re doing with the money and evaluating whether or not how we’re spending our dollars is making our students successful.”

Though plans are very tentative right now, Luster expressed that in the times to come she aims to “…build out the rest of the campus in a way that makes it accessible for as many students who want to go to Mesa College as possible and to offer high quality academically rigorous curriculum.” the president recognized however that to do this “A balance of resources long-term is something that Mesa has to look at carefully.”

Though Pres. Luster is still relatively new to her position as president of Mesa College, staff response has been positive.  In a letter, Chancellor Constance Carroll wrote “In my opinion, which is shared by our Board of Trustees, Pam Luster will be a wonderful addition to the leadership team of both Mesa College and the San Diego Community College District.”  Chancellor Carroll then noted Pres. Luster’s leadership experience and organizational skills adding “We are fortunate to have her join our team.”

many students who want to go to Mesa College as possible and to offer high quality academically rigorous curriculum.” the president recognized however that to do this “A balance of resources long-term is something that Mesa has to look at carefully.”

Though Luster is still relatively new to her position as president of Mesa College, staff response has been positive.  In a letter, Chancellor Constance Carroll wrote “In my opinion, which is shared by our Board of Trustees, Pam Luster will be a wonderful addition to the leadership team of both Mesa College and the San Diego Community College District.”  Carroll then noted Luster’s leadership experience and organizational skills adding, “We are fortunate to have her join our team.”