Campus police crack down on cell phone theft

Campus police warn that cell phones are commonly stolen and should be kept on your person at all times. Photo Credit: Lauren J. Mapp

The San Diego Community College Police Department has apprehended the culprit of the recent series of cell phone thefts occurring at San Diego Mesa College.

Victims described the suspect as a black male, between the age of 19-25, approximately 5’10” – 6’0″, heavy build, with short black hair and brown eyes.

The suspect has been reported to haven taken these phones when asking for directions on campus. When the suspect was done asking for direction, the suspect would pick up victim’s cell phone.

To prevent from future cases, the SDCCPD released a bulletin on how to keep belongings safe.

“Remember to always keep your belongings near you at all times,” Officer Shar Hariri of the SDCCPD said.

Students are being more aware and careful with their possessions while on campus.

“I keep my phone in my pocket at all times,” Mesa College student Randy Chandarath said.

“I leave my laptop and my cellphone in my bag pack, and I always have my bag pack with me,” Mesa College student Hue Vo said.

Although the suspect was apprehended, Officer Hariri did note however that it is still an on-going investigation.