Construction making progress

What better way to celebrate Mesa College’s 50th year anniversary than by giving it the gift of brand new facilities. Finishing up by the end of the 2013 will be the math and science building, along with the new language lab located on the second floor of the LRC; both begin occupancy the  first day of spring.

“(I) Really would like to thank local citizens in the area. Because they believe in San Diego Community College District, they’re willing to pay extra in order to enhance our community colleges,” VP of Instruction, Tim McGrath, and all things Proposition S & N construction explained.

Starting this month, the math and science building will begin what is called the FFE process: furniture, fixtures, and equipment. After construction has been completed, the building will be handed back to the school for the students to prepare for move in. The following four months  will be spent moving furniture to all four floors, revising new equipment, and then preparing for the move-in of the spring semester.

These changes are all made possible through state funded and local bonds. Together, both bonds sent $1.5 billion towards community colleges in San Diego, and after starting this process in early 2000, the campus is estimated to reach completion by 2017.

In addition to this update, the second floor of the LRC – which was previously occupied as a study area- will be converted into a language lab with 6 new classrooms. The study area will still exist and will be extended throughout the area.

Tim states: “It’s important to thank the faculty and dean, (for an) amazing job envisioning a remarkable building to make a difference for generations to come.”

There are 3 geology walls on the outskirts of the building which our geology department put together; each layer represents part of the earth’s core. There are plants not just randomly landscaped, but chosen specifically by the botany department with each name neatly labeled around them. “We are now not only having the classroom inside, but outside,” Tim explains.

Lastly to be constructed this year is the social and behavioral science building which is currently being constructed within the green walls across the H block;it is  anticipated to be done by August 2014.

Also, new facilities will include a  cafeteria, bookstore, fitness center,  business and technology center, quad, fine arts and drama department, in that order.

There is still much more to be done to the Mesa campus. Classrooms will come down and moved into the new campus buildings made for them and the desks inside will be held for auction. A beautiful campus awaits the students of Mesa College.