International Education Week at Mesa College

MCT

Mesa College will hold its International Education Week starting Nov. 18th through Nov. 21st. These workshops provide a place to celebrate the benefits of worldwide educational exchange. The Mesa College Global Awareness Committee organizes this annual event with the mission of supporting the celebration of cultural exchange.  The events include faculty presentations, student-led language exchanges, and an international film festival.

Many students express how this program has helped them mature in their studies as well as their lives. Juan Carlos Rodriguez-Rodriguez, an exchange student from Mexico, sees a big difference between his country and his adoptive home.  Since arriving, his perspectives has changed drastically, “I see that here, the [process] [of] applying for a scholarship [is more rigid] and because of that, I have to start preparing [for them] in time so I don’t miss the deadline.” Due to contrasting cultures and ideologies, they have aided him to become more open and friendly with everyone. Because of moving to a new country, he states, he has become more self-reliant, “I am the one that takes care of me. I have to organize well in order to have everything I need for the next day.” He also affirms that the main obstacle in his life regarding the movement to U.S. is the language barrier.

Another student gives incite on her educational exchange. Clara Assheton-Blair a Paris native, wanted to leave France and start a new life.  Her decision to study abroad was influenced by her mother, who also studied in San Diego. “My mom studied in San Diego when she was my age. So I liked the idea of following her footsteps.” Also she knew that sooner or later she would have to get independent and she decided that now was the time. “Getting to study here, on my own, made me believe that it was going to help me be a more independent person. My expectations didn’t change. I’m still growing up and maturing as the woman that I am. Even if things aren’t always easy, I like the adventure.” She believes that living by herself made her become more confident and also more responsible. “Since I’ve been living here on my own for over a year now, my parents still being in France, I’m kind of surprised of myself. A year ago, I didn’t think I would make it!”

Blair states that she is very thankful for meeting such nice people here in San Diego and she strongly encourages people to go abroad and study, to change airs and also gather new experiences and adventures that would eventually become part of their lives. “Everyone should experience that! For sure! It opens your eyes on what you really want in life and makes you meet people, friends! I would recommend them to be aware that it is never easy at first. But eventually, you realize it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to you. Just do it! Go for it! You won’t regret it!”

Sohrab Mirzabeigi Fini on the other hand has a different story. Iranian native with Persian roots he was born in Tehran, and he always come to U.S. with his family. In one of his visits, while his father took him to see the University of Tennessee, he realized that this country is where he wanted to live. He did the big step with only 15 years at his back. He admits that going to school was very stressful. “The fear of the ‘unknown’ is among the strongest human fears. But when I walked in and went to my classes I figured out despite [the] differences these kids have from me, deep down we are all the same and the only thing that can separate me from them and build a wall between me and them, are my own fears.”

Living in this country allowed him to become friends with people of all cultures. “I also got the chance to become friends, not just with more Americans, but also with plenty of International students from all around the globe; individuals who each have their own story.”

He also expresses, “what I have learned the most in my experiencing of living among different cultures and countries is that the most important thing is to open your heart to people and let go of the old you. Now this does not mean to forget who you are an where you are from, but it means […] you keep your own culture and heritage close to your heart; open your heart to the new things life has to offer.”

These students give an insight into the cultural diversity that makes mesa a melting pot. Mesa College encourages all to take part and learn more about global awareness. To get more information about this event, visit the mesa college website.