Former Foster youth and homeless students struggle to capitalize on Mesa’s resources

Some students are forced to live on the streets or out of their cars in order to finance their academic expenses. Photo credit: Michael Laughlin/Sun Sentinel/MCT.

Roughly 100 students on Mesa’s campus are registered as Homeless or Former Foster Youth. These students, who struggle to finance their basic needs along with their academic expenses, frequently find themselves living in their cars and showering at the gym.

According to Julissa Samano, the Financial Aid Foster Youth Liaison, these students typically do not have stable addresses or access to computers, making it challenging to get in contact with them via mail or email. Samano explains that out of the 100 students, Mesa College is only in contact with about 20.

“We are still finding a way to reach them so they know that we are here. We did a fair for them and we are going to try to do more. We need to do an outreach program so we can get it advertised. We’re still working on that. Only three went. Why? We don’t know,” she says.

It can be assumed that students simply do not know how to “navigate the system,” Health Services Director Suzanne Khambata explains. “We offer Case Management services to provide 1:1 support for students who need extra help finding food/housing/supplies. We are here to help you figure this out.”

According to Khambata’s observation, she emphasizes that these students tend to be “highly intelligent” and “motivated.” However, their current financial and living situations often force them to drop out of school to pursue a second or third job.

Students who need further financial assistance for school expenses have multiple options, and should seek an alternative to dropping out of school. They can visit the Financial Aid Office in order to apply for the Chaffee Grant program, FSEOG Grant, Cal Grant, Dream Application, FAFSA or Work Study.

While it may be the case that some students are unaware of what is available, it is likely that others are simply just too shy and hesitant to reach out.

“They are shy to be labeled foster youth. I mean they shouldn’t be because there is so much that we can do for them. There are so many resources out there. Even housing. We’re working on it. I’m pretty sure within the next year, we are going to have something a little more stable. So when they come, we’ll have all of the resources to send them out with. You know? You can do this. You can do this,” Samano says.

Khambata and the rest of the staff members in the Student Health Services Office work with former foster youth and homeless students to address concerns such as food, shelter and safety and provide further access to resources.  Beyond that, they provide access to free urgent care, medical care and mental health care, as well as free visits with mental health clinicians, doctors, nurse practitioners and RNs for registered students. Their offices even include a lab and pharmacy with extremely low cost rates.

Khambata has personally interacted with former foster youth and homeless students who attend Mesa, and explains that it is often difficult for a student to reach out to the staff here at Mesa College.

“Often we have students that are homeless, or in between places to live. They are not willing to talk to anyone, however in the confidential therapy session they discuss the situation and our clinicians help them to find housing resources, employment or other things that they need,” she says.

Khambata acts as an advocate for these individuals and speaks up to express her respect for students who are resilient through these types of circumstances.

“I have met and worked with several homeless students.  They are an inspiration to me… They are excellent teachers for me because their broad experiences have taught them many things that are valuable to me,” she gushes.

Khambata stresses that their main goal is to see Mesa become a community that provides peer-to-peer support. Through kindness and trust building, students and staff can find out who is homeless or foster youth, offer support and friendship, and point them toward the copious amount of resources that Mesa College has available.

“What students can do is just say it. Be comfortable and say: go ask for the supervisor or the liaison, start from there,” Samano agrees. Promoting compassion and openness on campus will encourage students in difficult situation to seek support and to take advantage of the resources.

“They are very shy. They are sensitive, you know, in telling their need. But, we need their story so we can better help them,” Samano says.

Former foster youth and homeless students are also encouraged to contact San Diego Youth Services. Marissa Sanchez, the Program Assistant/ Housing Specialist, explains that they provide housing for students who qualify, as well as guide the youth through a program to learn budgeting and how to save their money.

“The youth that come in and take advantage of the program, attend our workshops and meet with their case managers, those are the ones that are really successful,” Sanchez explains.