Internet memes going too far…

MCT

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, 9Gag, and Buzzfeed, what do all these social media networks have in common; Memes. In case you’re unfamiliar, a meme is a picture that circulates throughout the internet usually with an obnoxiously funny quote or realization attached to it, or something really deep and dark.

Both are meant to relate to the general public in a way where they would be retweeted, reposted and shared. A lot of the time the original creator of the meme isn’t attached to the picture, while some have hashtag or @insertscreenname watermarks in hopes of it being reposted and increasing one’s followers. Most memes are meant to be comedic, but I have to ask, when do they go too far?

The other day while scrolling through Instagram, I came across a simple meme, no picture, just words, and it read, “I want to be the reason why your boyfriend beat you up.” In what realm, internet or the real world is this okay to say to anyone? After complete disgust and outrage, I left a comment basically saying it was too much and inappropriate. Later to find out this individual called me a “hater” to another person chiming in and said I didn’t understand.

The first thing I had thought about was one someone that I know, who endured a severe case of domestic abuse that made her almost end her life, twice, and put her in the hospital, twice.

So what I didn’t understand was why people think it’s okay to post things like that and think its socially appropriate. Recently there have been many memes with Bill Cosby’s face regarding his latest scandal, also not funny. One even featuring Kim Kardashians “break the internet” picture with Cosby holding her and the name of the magazine is labeled, “Raper.”

Imagine how the families of alleged victims or Cosby’s family feels during a sensitive time like this and cruel jokes are being made all over social media networks. Not to mention serious rape victims all over the world.

Being a journalist I am completely in accordance with the freedom of speech, but in this case, it’s not about freedom of speech, it’s about human compassion and decency. Around Halloween there was a meme of a guy wearing a Ray Rice jersey for his costume, dragging a female blow up doll on the floor. What are people endorsing here? That domestic abuse is funny? That it is so socially acceptable that it can be taken light hearted and all the victims should too?

Social media and the internet can single-handedly ruin a person’s life with things like this. All those hilarious memes of random people, are circulated and imagine the life of someone who is on one and was just an innocent person that had a picture taken at the wrong time. I can think of five distinguishable faces that I would inherently know if presented in front of me because of the internet. All five being made fun of for either how their face looked, weight or an action that was posted. How would you feel if someone walked up to you and said “hey you’re that girl from the meme” and asked for your picture. It’s humiliating!

I’m sure some embrace it, but remember the victim of internet fight sensation Sharkeisha? Allegedly, Shamichael Manuel, who suffered from a black eye and busted lip endured severe bullying. Manuel and her mother told NYDailyNews.com that they “are humiliated and that they wish that the video would disappear.” Aside from the video there are countless memes still going around and Manuel will most likely always be remembered for the incident.

Being a participant in social media I have had my fair share of laughs at the expense of others, but reading things that endorse physical violence or anything along those lines is repulsive and sad. It just makes one wonder who made these and why did they think that was okay? Watch what you repost, think of others and remember what you post reflects how people view you and your opinion.