Prominent professor dies

On Feb. 11, Mesa Community College discovered the sad truth of a former professor’s and colleague’s death.

Former professor Patrick Pidgeon began teaching philosophy here at Mesa in 1970, and throughout the years, Pidgeon was very active in the Mesa community. Serving as the Chair of Chairs for part of his time here, and as the Chair of the Department of Social Sciences, Pidgeon spent much of his time expanding the curriculum for the department through his love and devotion of the subject.

Three years after being named the Dean of the School of Social/Behavioral Sciences and Multicultural Studies, Pidgeon retired from his position to return to Mesa in order to restart his love of teaching. Current Dean of the School of Social/Behavioral Sciences and Multicultural Studies, Dr. Charles Zappia, states; “…he was a very student oriented professor, who enjoyed dialogue with his students, and who really found some joy in trying to get them to think more critically about their experiences and about philosophy.” With such dedication to the school like this, Pidgeon was also named Professor of the year four times at Mesa Community College.

As sad as it may be, Pigeon’s legacy will be a lasting one at Mesa. With building the Philosophy program to what it is now, Pidgeon’s memory will last for time to come in the halls of the school. Zappia goes on to say, “he developed and wrote a number of new courses that are still in the philosophy program today…he at least wrote half a dozen.” This shows how impactful and prominent Pidgeon was to the school and how much he cared for the education of those around him.

And so, even after his death, Patrick Pidgeon will forever been known as a large contributor to Mesa Community College’s philosophy program. For years to come, Pidgeon’s hard work and dedication will be seen throughout the many achievements of students’ futures. Gone but not forgotten, Patrick Pidgeon is an example of a true spirit of Mesa Community College.