Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

Financial Aid fair is an all inclusive student services event

Photo Credit: Robert Hatchett

Photo Credit: Robert Hatchett

Photo Credit: Robert Hatchett

Chelsea Heath, Staff Writer

The Financial Aid Fair, held on March 6, received a successful turnout from students after being rescheduled due to rain.. The fair was not solely focused on providing students with financial aid information, but rather offering information about  a variety of student services ranging from admission assistance to flu shots. The promise of free food and music was an added bonus.

The event is held every Spring semester directly outside of the Student Services building. All participating departments set up tables arranged in a circle, making each representative accessible and navigation easy for students to make their rounds. Services included but were not limited to: financial aid, admissions, student health services, career education, and transfer counseling.

Laura Milligan, a nurse practitioner from the Student Health services, spoke about providing free flu shots at the fair for those who have paid their health fee. When asked what else she wanted students to learn, Milligan said, “We just want more people to know about the Student Health Center, because they all pay that health fee and don’t all know what it’s for. But it includes free visits to see a nurse practitioner, or a physician. Most of the things they can get done at  an urgent care office, they can get seen for at the Student Center.”
The Financial Aid fair was an interactive opportunity for students to learn more about the services and assistance that San Diego Mesa College has to offer them. To ensure that students got the most out of the fair, the first 350 students to attend received a free lunch- with a catch. Students were given a survey that required them to visit every department to learn about their services in order  to earn a stamp. Those that collected a stamp from all departments then earned their free lunch.

Mesa student, Jasly Reyes, said the event was beneficial to her saying, “If you ask questions, they definitely answer thoughtfully…they offer more than I knew.” Another Mesa student, Andreza Sena, attending the fair for her third time said, “I think it’s a great opportunity to get to know more about the things that our school offers.” Accompanying Sena was student Fernanda Schuster, who agreed and said, “I think it is interesting because there are a lot of things we don’t take advantage of.”

There seemed to be something for every student at the financial aid event, which had a high number of participants, even as it was nearing the end. Representatives from the departments that attended were able to get their information out to students, while the  students who attended learned that Mesa has much to give when it comes to services and assistance.

Chelsea Heath, Writer

Hello, my name is Chelsea and I am a 26 year old journalism major. This is my second year here at Mesa, and I am currently working towards finishing an...

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

Financial Literacy talks budgeting during the holidays

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

• Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop

Financial Aid Fair-The One Stop Shop