Drinking ban on San Diego beaches

Once again this year as in years past the issue of weather or not to ban drinking on San Diego’s three main beaches, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach and Ocean Beach, became a heated debate. The verdict, all signals go on Fourth of July drinking

Supporters of the ban feel that the consumption of alcohol on San Diego’s beaches leads to an influx of trash and lewd conduct. The idea is that any of San Diego’s beaches should be family friendly at any time.

While both sides agree that trash and lewd conduct on the beach should be stopped groups like free PB see the ban as a bit overboard and hasty. They feel that there are better ways to go about controlling some of the problems that go along with drinking on the beach.

“It is very true that the beaches here in San Diego can get a bit hectic at times over the holidays, and a yes you might get a glimpse of some public urination,” said Paul Klienfelter an Ocean Beach resident, “but this is San Diego, what do you expect?”

Some of the of the measures that are put into place to counteract the negative effects of the fourth of July beach celebrations are trash clean ups and increased police.

Organizations like Cost Keepers, Surf Rider Foundation and Free PB understand that with the amount of traffic that the beaches encounter there are bound to be some negative effects.

Free PB organizes a team every year of volunteers to setup up and collect waste receptacles along the beaches, while Surf rider and coast keepers sets up day after beach clean-ups.

“Every year it amazes me just how much trash is on the beach the day after the fourth, ocean beach life guard Seth Dursken said, but it also amazes me how fast it gets cleaned up. The aluminum goes first, then the salvageable items, like barbeques and lawn chairs, and finaly volunteers finish the job.”

Though this year the festivities will not be hindered they may be some year soon. Both Mission and Pacific beaches Town councils both voted in favor of the single day ban. but not in a large enough margin

Ocean Beach town council is still strongly against the ban and did not vote in favor of the ban. Residence in the area collected over 2,000 signatures in support of drinking on the beach.

Someday California’s last oasis of drunken beach barbeques may be gone but this year San Diego’s classic Independence Day celebration is unaltered.