You Choose: Graduation or finals

What would you do if you were forced to choose between attending your graduation ceremony or going to your chemistry final? For some students in the San Diego Community College District, this is a choice that they are going to have to make.

Due to poor scheduling, for whatever reason, Miramar, City, and Mesa are all holding their graduations before the end of the semester, June 6. Having graduation ceremonies during the last week of the semester may cause some problems for students, as this is generally when most finals are held.

Miramar students appear to have the greatest chance of a conflict, with their graduation scheduled to take place on Thurs. May 30 at 4pm at the La Jolla Hilton. This would be the last day of class for anyone with a TTh schedule.

City College has their graduation scheduled for Fri. June 1 at 6pm at the Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park. At least there are usually less people that have Friday classes, but this could still present a conflict for some.

The same is the case here at Mesa, where graduation is scheduled for Sat. June 2 at 4pm to take place at USD’s Jenny Craig Pavilion. Not too many people are likely to have class on the very last Saturday of the semester, but it still may be a problem for some students.

In fact, the only graduation that has been scheduled to take place after the semester is over is for the adult education facilities, Continuing Education schools. These, however, do not offer any classes that give college credit.

This lack of concern for possible scheduling conflict presents a question: Is graduation from community college taken seriously?

For many college students, graduating from a 2-year school is more or less a joke, and this apathy may be spreading to the faculty.

However, for some people, graduating from a community college may be the farthest they go in their formal education, and to potentially force them to miss their graduation is a travesty.

In today’s highly competitive global marketplace, a degree from a 4-year college, such as a state school or university is becoming more of a necessity. An associate’s degree is sometimes viewed as a “junior degree” or not a serious degree, whereas 20 years ago, an associate’s was more than many people had.

As the U.S. and world population continues to expand, there becomes a greater need to classify the different segments of society in order to maximize productivity. Those people with highly specialized degrees will be at the greatest advantage when seeking employment.

We are, however, lucky enough to live in a country that offers incredible opportunities to anyone who has a great idea, or is willing to work hard and start their own business, regardless of what degree they do or don’t hold.

If you don’t have the motivation to start your own business, or get a degree, look on the bright side: our over-consuming, self-obsessed nation will always need janitors, fast food workers, retail employees and garbage collectors.