Mesa and the environment

Global warming, energy conservation and sustainability have rapidly become the focus of worldwide concern. No matter where you turn, what country you are in or what you do, these issues are being touted in every newspaper, magazine, internet news website and blogo-sphere. And that’s great! They should be. Yet when you walk to class, and if you are really observant, the only visible act of environmental stewardship you will notice are the new blue recycling bins that were just added last semester.

Assembly Bill 75, a law passed in 1999, required at least 25% of solid wastes to be recycled or otherwise diverted from landfills by January 1, 2002 and at least 50% by January 1, 2004. The “Greening Mesa” section on Mesa’s Website states that “recycling 1 ton of paper saves: 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space, 17 trees and 7,000 gallons of water.” However, despite the goal of the government to reach the standards advocated by Assembly Bill 75 by 2004, Mesa did not provide recycling bins until spring 2007. Between the time the law was to be implemented and the time that Mesa did its part to save the environment, how much recyclable waste was sent as trash to the Miramar landfill, which is already at capacity?

But hey, at least recycling bins were finally distributed around campus. At least now we have the option to recycle. We have to start somewhere, right? It is better late then never, and any start is a good start especially when it comes to changing the way people act and think. It takes time and education to change the habits of hundreds, if not thousands, of people. But what you should be is asking is, THAT’S ALL? This is it? THIS right here, these blue bins are all that Mesa is doing to preserve the environment and conserve precious landfill space?

Now is a time of change; a time for all of us to take our future and the future of our children and our children’s children into account. We are on a precipice. We are at a fork in the road. One road leads to a dirty and destructive future and the other to a clean and sustainable one. Whatever happened to leading by example? Here we are: young adults with strong ideals and high ambitions, about to go out into the world, taking what we learned in school and applying it to real life situations. Yet Mesa leads the way with a seemingly shortsighted view by perpetuating unsustainable practices in erecting a shade structure by the art classrooms when it could have installed a solar tree, which is a wonderful little invention that acts as a shade structure while at the same time providing free, clean, 100% renewable energy to the surrounding classrooms.

As the proverbial saying goes, “It is easier said then done.” There is good news in the end though. Mesa, though slowly, is taking steps towards a better campus. Take Facility 21, the new Math and Science Building. The faculty hopes it will be certified by the United States Green Building Council as LEED Silver. LEED or Leadership in Energy and Environmental design is a program that certifies buildings based on design, construction and overall building performance. Each building can accumulate points for energy usage, proximity to public transportation or even the installation of bike racks, which promotes fuel conservation.

The most important steps that can be taken are the ones taken by the Mesa student body. Remember, now is the time for change. Now is the time to take the future and mold it into what you want. Take your ideals, your visions, your future and go to the administration demanding a better, more sustainable campus. Join the Environmental Club or take part in SDCCD’s Environmental Stewardship program. You have the power to institute change. Think big, bold, new ideas. Be inspired and inspire change.