Letters to the Editors

I’m writing this letter on behalf of the Mesa Press web site , and its ease of accessibility. As a working, full-time college student, I find it extremely difficult to set aside enough time to actually sit down and read the latest publication of the Mesa Press. Often times I’m too wrapped up in “making the most of my time” to remember to grab a copy and get reading. A Professor of mine suggested visiting the paper’s web site, as it provides all news available in print, as well as entertainment information and game answers, online. This allows for me to casually read at home, and keep me “in the know” of what’s going on around me. It’s greatly appreciated. I’d also like to thank you for implementing the “Double Click On Any Word” feature that provides full definitions of words without ever having to leave the site. This feature has been much more of an asset than I would’ve ever expected.

Andrew Gantt, 25
Mechanical Engineering

I am concerned about the smoking policy at Mesa. I’m under the impression that Mesa is a no smoking school, except in permitted areas. However, I’m surprised by how many students and even faculty members I have seen smoking around campus. I’m curious to find out what the penalty is for smoking in a non-smoking section of campus? Is there really anybody getting in trouble? I have asthma and really do not enjoy the smell of smoke being blown in my face. However, if smoking was allowed I could deal with it. But if students are always being ticketed for something harmless like skateboarding to class when they have to park a mile away, then why aren’t smokers being ticketed? Do students get a warning, a ticket, or a drag from their teacher during break?

Cameron Sherley, 19
Art History

I am a 19 year old student majoring in communications attending (“the wonderful” ) Mesa College. I do no just have a problem with the current conditions of Mesa’s campus – I have a huge problem with it! Let me just put it this way.on the first day of my second year of college I was not expecting to run into the mess that I see as Mesa College.

Roaming around the many parking lots for about 30 minutes, soon after finding myself parked in the newest edition to our parking enjoyment (what I call the desert a.k.a. the lot made of dirt) seemed to be the least of my annoyances. Apparently I had to prepare myself for many more irritants in the up and coming year!

In a nutshell I am completely dissatisfied with the aesthetics, ruckus, and inconvenience the construction has burdened upon the students, faculty and anyone else for that matter who spends more than 30 minutes of their time at Mesa.
I drive to school (or should I say construction zone), observe chaos and trek about a mile to my first class everyday, all while ruining my ear drums and looking like an idiot breathing into my sweatshirt due to the commotion and foul odors dispersed from the heavy machinery.

In fact I had no clue that the school had plans to undergo such extensive modifications! No warning.nothing! Actually I lied; I did get an e-mail before I registered about four days before the semester started. Really though all I am saying is a more advanced notice of the situation would have been nice.

Jessica Nikzad, 19
Communications

It is often thought that if you go to a community college you are getting less of an education than a four-year university. Although the workload might be less than a school like SDSU, I don’t think anyone should be looked down upon for going to a school like Mesa. I am in my fifth semester at Mesa and I have to say, I’ve been very impressed with the quality of professors I have gotten. Most have been very knowledgeable and surprisingly motivated to teach. A lot of the teachers teach at State as well so it’s almost like the same education at a fraction of the cost. A few of my friends actually go to State but are taking their classes at Mesa for State credit because it’s a lot cheaper and the quality of teaching is the same. A few of the teachers that I would highly recommend because they positively affected me at Mesa are Mr. Sullivan for English, Sandwick for math, and Robinson for psych. I think Mesa is a good school to go to if you still need to figure out what you want to do with your life. I am glad that such a respectable alternative to a four-year school is available.

Bryce Quilico, 20
Film