Baseball coach responds to letter from Mesa Press

I am writing to you in response to your article in the latest issue of the Mesa Press, dated April 29, 2008. I am shocked and appalled that an article of this nature would be printed in this paper. As someone that has been coaching at Mesa for the last 17 years, I can say that our coaches do a fine job of trying to get press out for our individual sports, even without the Sports Information Director help that many Southern California Community Colleges have. From my experience, there has been one writer on your staff in the last five years that actually took the time to get to games, meets, or matches that our sports teams play. His name is John Keefe. He was in the athletic department offices every week taking pictures, showing up to games, interviewing athletes and coaches. He took an interest in our programs, and we took an interest in him. Other than Mr. Keefe, your sports editors have shown minimal interest in our programs.

I can specifically speak to the baseball program, and what an embarrassment this year was when I was interviewed for the spring sports preview. When the writer set up an appointment with me to talk about the upcoming season, he had two questions ready. The first was, “What is your name?” The second, “What would you like me to write about?”

After explaining that there should be some questions that he is ready to ask, he went back to your instructor, and conducted a little better interview the next time around. This preview never made it to print. This is what we received after winning the conference championship last year. At least last season, when we were winning the conference, one of the writers called me the night before the paper was supposed to go to print to ask some questions over the phone that he was going to try and get to print. This year, after the initial preview interview, no one has called, stopped by my office, or sent me an email.

I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that this paper has attended any sporting events, and taken pictures to go along with these stories. I also serve as an assistant athletic director, so I am at many contests that our sports participate in other than baseball. I have not seen anyone interviewing coaches after games, interviewing players after games, or taking pictures for print.

If you or any other writers for this paper are interested in covering sports beyond the Mesa Press, you will have to be at these games. To my knowledge, this has not occurred in the last three years. So although the title of your article may be correct, you might possibly take a look at the other side in order to see what the problem really is.

Kevin Hazlett

Head Baseball Coach/Assistant Athletic Director