The Green Column

This last column is dedicated to pessimistic greenies. At some point or another, people involved in the green community may lose hope in their cause when the rest of the general population continues to ignore the movement. It can seem like a losing game, and an exhausting one. But do not lose faith, greenies. Soon, those who have been ignoring our warnings won’t have a choice but to listen and to care.

We’re at a turning point in America. Before long, we will no longer be able to ignore our alternative energy sources. Fossil fuels are running out, understandably, and our oil dependant nation will be scrambling for a solution when the well runs dry. It’s important that we keep in mind that there will never be only one solution to this monstrous problem. It will take millions of people working together to create a better consumer environment over time, but not without sacrifice and drastic but positive changes. It will take a multifaceted system of alternate energy mixed with a new outlook on public transportation and an altered consumer market.

Sun, wind and water have already been recognized as acceptable alternate electric producing energies. But for some reason, we’ve failed to care much about the more looming energy shortage we face, that of crude oil.

The green industry is about to explode, with any luck. We have the resources to research and discover new promising renewable energy technology, and some are already dedicating night and day to discover new sources.

When the wells run dry, we’ll be given an incredible opportunity of change. When our barrels of crude oil start to run low, costs of many common household items will skyrocket, and that event also provides opportunity to increase interest in renewable energy sources.

In the changing times, it’s important to avoid the greenie divide. Many greenies, self declared or not, can’t help but create a rift between themselves and the blind consumer. Greenies can be critical of others not dedicated to the green movement, which further discourages blind consumers from ever opening their eyes.

Don’t lose sight of the goal. It’s sometimes easy when supermarket food is cheaper than organic, and easier to access. Don’t resort back to buying plastic bottles or using plastic bags. Reduce, reuse, recycle, and never take steps backward. We all have our weaknesses, and it’s all right to divulge them, but it’s important to recognize them and care to change them.