Brash statements promote intolerance

It is true that we as American citizens have a right to life, liberty and even freedom of speech, however at some point; lines must be drawn in the forum that is public opinion. Not by administrators, or politicians but within the public. We must work as our own censors, for ourselves and in a sense for our peers by voicing out against impetuous and ignorant affirmations.
I for one am not particularly fond of our generation’s incessant need for being “politically correct,” and I in no way support the movement. That does not mean that I am heartless nor completely oblivious, because not even I would dare make statements as boorish as those that have spawned in the wake of Japan’s tragic earthquake that took place on March 11 of this year.
Alexandra Wallace, a UCLA student who decided to make a short YouTube video ranting about her gripes with ultimately the entire Asian population of her school. Most of her complaints involved the use of cell phones in the school library and UCLA’s Asian students and their inability to fend for themselves. Now were her arguments valid, perhaps, but more importantly were they well timed, not whatsoever. Young Wallace waited a whole three days after Japan’s devastating events to take on the Asian community of her school.
As nonsensical as Alexandra Wallace’s actions were, they still pale in comparison to the dozens and dozens of deplorable comments that people nationwide were making on popular social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, such as “Do I feel bad for japan? Two words..pearl harbor,” “all yall remember pearl harbor when yall give money to japan.” Apparently some of our American brothers and sisters don’t think the bombing of Hiroshima or Nagasaki was punishment enough.
The sheer stupidity that finds its way into the public forum is mind boggling; this is kind of short minded dribble that can lead to prejudice and violence. Intolerance in this form has to be put in check and it is up the public to do so, and we should by monitoring our own communities to prevent these kind of incidents from reoccurring.
Due to the fact that Mesa College is a public institution its administration’s ability to censor and monitor the statements and actions of its students in or around the campus is minimal, not to say that the administration is completely powerless. Nevertheless, it is up to the students of our fine institution, to help oversee the community that is Mesa College. One could consider it a “community watch” of sorts; we should take note of our surroundings, stay educated, and voice our opinions.

The ideas and values that people have today will echo long after the media coverage of events such as the earthquake fade away. We cannot forget this, just because this kind of ignorance isn’t in the forefront of our minds doesn’t make it any less evident, especially once it is sparked again. That being said, I’ll leave you with a few words from the seminal 1980’s hardcore-punk band Gorilla Biscuits,”Humor’s got a place like all things. Be aware of the pain it can sometimes bring. A joke to you might not be so funny, so take the time and think it out before you open up your mouth.”