We Proudly Serve Ammunition

MCT

Days after the Navy shipyard massacre that killed 13 people and injured eight; Starbucks CEO Howard Shultz changes the companies’ stance on gun policy. Before the sudden policy change Starbucks allowed guns in stores, in over 40 states where guns are permitted. According to USA Today “Schultz insists the timing of the policy change is unrelated. In fact, he says, the company thought about postponing the announcement after Monday’s massacre, but opted to move ahead”. This major change of policy might have some backlash from pro-gun enthusiasts Starbucks once supported.  Found on the Starbucks website the Mission Statement states; “ Everyday we go to work hoping to do two things: share great coffee with our friends and help make the world a little better. It was true when the first Starbucks opened in 1971, and it’s just as true today”.

Starbucks is generally a place where friends gather together to study, catch up, and relax. Some even have their first dates at Starbucks, so it is to some degree of convenience that Shultz now changes the policy. Starbucks’ Mission Statement has not changed since the recent tragic shooting event, which in turn leaves us to think that “making the world a little better” includes allowing guns into a place where friends meet and first dates happen? The online website continues to say “every store is part of a community, and we take our responsibility to be good neighbors seriously…the world is looking at Starbucks to set the new standard, yet again we will lead”.  Taking the responsibility to be good neighbors seriously in allowing guns where children and families reside is not being a good neighbor permitting and influencing violence is not setting a good standard. If Starbucks wants to be taking seriously as a good leader they should first stick to the policies they set and not change them out of the sake of convenience. Next time you go into your neighborhood Starbucks to get your morning fix, ask your local barista for a tall white chocolate mocha and a box of ammunition.