Five reasons to celebrate Valentine’s Day

The true origin of Valentine’s Day is somewhat of a mystery, and contrary to popular belief, it did not initially begin as a celebration of romantic love at all. Historically, Valentine’s Day is said to be a day to venerate the numerous Christian martyrs who were named Valentine. Even today, it is celebrated in many Christian denominations around the world for this reason.

For the hopeless romantic, however, the popular myth seems far dreamier. Legend says that this holiday originated as a tribute to Saint Valentine of Rome who was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians. Over time, Valentine’s Day has evolved into a day when lovers declare love, gifts are exchanged and romantic gestures are made.

While the attached may be eager and excited for this day to come, for the single, Valentine’s Day can be somewhat of a brutal reminder. Grumblings and groans can be heard from those that have no significant other and who cynically refer to the day as “Singles Awareness Day.”  But, the truth is that this holiday was in no way intended to cause a wave of insecurity or to value relationships over singleness.

Valentine’s Day should simply be a day when love of all forms is celebrated and noticed. There are five reasons why the dreaded V-day should be loved rather than loathed by the married, dating and single.

1. It is an opportunity to make your loved ones the objects of your affection. Valentine’s Day is not reserved for the dating or married by any means. Who doesn’t love to receive chocolate, flowers or a handcrafted note? Feb. 14 is an excuse to be intentional about giving love to the friends and family who love you. Everyone can and should celebrate Valentine’s Day. It is a day focused on love, affection, giving and acknowledgment of the people who fill the rest of your year with joy and care. Practice being a thoughtful gift giver this year.

2. It contributes a great deal to our economy. In 2014, sales are estimated to be around $17.3 billion. If it weren’t for this holiday, retail companies would have nothing to look forward to following the after-Christmas lull. The money generated from all of those flowers, chocolate, jewelry, lingerie and perfume sales has a powerful and positive effect on our economy and make for a good deal of necessary financial stimulation.

3. It is a chance to jumpstart a potential courtship with that special someone you’ve been eyeing. What better day to ask someone out on a first date than Valentine’s Day? Take a risk this year and ask out that cute guy or gal who sits next to you in Spanish class. Roses and candy is plentiful. Pick up a few goodies and head to a casual date at the movies. The month of love causes people to feel inspired, open-minded and willing to try new things.

4. It’s tradition. Since the Middle Ages, people have honored the Saints who were persecuted and murdered for their beliefs. They committed these acts of sacrifice out of love, concern and faith; their courage is to be recognized.

5. It’s a day dedicated to keeping the spark alive, and that’s important. Long-term relationships, whether romantic or friendly, can feel a tad dull or boring after many years. Valentine’s Day reminds us that all relationships require a bit of cultivation and gives us an opportunity to avoid the rut of routine. Head to a restaurant that offers a fancy prix-fix menu, take a sunset cruise around the harbor, try out of new spa or indulge in a brewery tour of San Diego. The options are endless.