Human rights for immigrants in the urban United States: Cheetos and aliens

Note from the editor: The following series of articles is written by Hilina Gudeta, a second-year Mesa College student, in her efforts to promote human rights, cultural awareness and diversity as a U.S. immigrant. Although she is not an official staff member of this publication, we have agreed to publish her stories in a periodic fashion as a six-part opinion feature. Therefore, as a disclaimer, the ideas expressed in this column may not necessarily represent the views of The Mesa Press and its staff as a whole. Moreover, to best preserve Ms. Gudeta’s voice, only minor errors in syntax and punctuation will be addressed before publication. Any major stylistic differences will be ignored and attributed as such.

Part 2

Snack scenario – Say “yes” to Cheetos

There sits an immigrant, a bag of Cheetos aimlessly rotating with her wrist. She offers some for the classmate sitting next to her, and the classmate politely declines the offer. For the Ethiopian immigrant, offering food is a gesture of openness to friendship. Accepting the offer and playfully chatting would be the favored response, and it would reciprocate her openness and signal acceptance. But having been declined so many times, the immigrant is left bewildered and wondering how she can be accepted among Americans.

An American guy mentioned that offering and accepting snacks depends merely on whether or not he likes the snack and illuminated the difference in cultural expectations. For an Ethiopian, sharing food is mostly about the interaction than it is about eating.

A similar cultural gesture is seen in Persians, Mexicans and people from other countries. Next time you are asked to have a snack, consider the motive behind, chat and be open and welcoming even if you do not say “yes” to Cheetos. It is a heartwarming acceptance to an immigrant.

Part 3

Aliens

“Sure, I was given an alien number when I arrived to the United States” she says, angry because this has bothered her for far too long and excited that she has the chance to talk about it now.

“I’m labeled an alien in this country,” she reiterates to her co-worker who was born in the United States. Being unfamiliar with the practices of a country causes confusion when Americans talk about their experiences.

“I do understand your conversation,” she concedes. “I hear the words. But I don’t quite get what is fun about going to different hang out places you talk about. You understate the freedom, the adventure, the thrills or chills you get when you go to a certain place, and it is still easily recognized by someone who grew up here. But for me, I need an explanation to understand your experience.”

A moment passes by.

“I come from a different place,” she says as she looks up. “Don’t take offense if I do not use your gestures and if I don’t respond to you the way you would. I grew up in a different surrounding. But I don’t want to be left out just because of that.”

If the intent of this country is to “promote social progress” as the United Nations members stated in the preamble of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), then a part of social progress should include actively engaging immigrants in conversations and letting questions come from both immigrants and Americans so that they can better understand each other.

Article 12 of the UDHR states that “No one shall be subject to… attacks upon his honor and reputation.” Consistent miscommunication eventually leads to attacks on a person’s honor and reputation. The solution to this is not to assume anything. Ask and learn about the immigrant, their actions and cultural influences — most people are good at heart.