California Community Colleges make college decision a ‘no brainer’

Students typically do not dream about attending a community college. If you are a California native, you have probably aspired to be an Aztec, a Trojan, a Bear, or Triton at some point in your adolescence. While attending a community college may not have been the path you initially hoped to take, it may have been the best decision you’ve made for your academic career thus far. The truth is that attending community college might actually be a better option that attending a four-year university immediately after graduating high school and these are the reasons why.

1) It keeps you out of debt — According to CNNMoney, the average debt load for the class of 2012 was $29,400. Earning an education from a four-year university continues to grow more expensive. Going to community college prior to transferring could save you thousands of dollars. Additionally, if you choose to live at home, you will also be saving on room and board. Furthermore, the first two years of college are filled with general education classes that have little to no relation to your specific major. Fulfill those requirements at a community college and save a boatload of cash.

2) It gives you plenty of time to establish your career path — High school graduates are generally unsure of what they want to do with their future and what they want to earn their degree in. Understandably, students usually change their major between 2 and 3 times. Attending a four-year university forces students into a specific mold and pressures them with a short time frame. Community college gives you the opportunity to change your mind, engage curiosity, take your time and find certainty about what direction you want to go with your education. Even if you spend three or four years exploring different majors and subjects, at least you won’t feel guilty about wasting money on a four-year university tuition. When you transfer, you’ll be confident in what you’re earning your degree in and feel equipped with an expansive education that exposed you to an array of subjects.

3) It provides you with a great education and school system — The San Diego and Imperial County Community College Districts have been generating some impressive numbers this year and their prestige is on the rise. According to a news release by SDCCD, students in the six community college districts are earning approximately 11,000 associate degrees and 10,000 certificates this year.

After Proposition 30, which began restoring funds to California’s community colleges, the schools were finally able to add classes and increase their enrollment by more than 60,000 statewide.

“Funding for California community colleges was cut by $1.5 billion between the 2007-08 and 2011-12 academic years,” said Melinda Nish, president of the San Diego and Imperial Counties Community Colleges Association and president/superintendent of Southwestern College. “We are happy to see the state reinvesting in higher education and committed to passing a budget that will help us deliver more than 2 million additional degrees and certificates that are needed to address the state’s future workforce demands.”

So, take advantage of the numerous perks that California’s community colleges offer you! Save your money, find your passion, and go on to be the best Aztec, Trojan, Bear, or Triton possible. You can be sure that all of your fellow peers will be jealous of the extra money in your pocket and all of the interesting subjects you got to explore.