Whole30 program rejuvenates and resets the body

Atkins, South Beach Diet, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig. Over the past 10 years, weight loss programs and diet plans have been all the rage. Recently, however, the focus has shifted from counting calories to clean eating. Specifically, in California, there has been a rise in raw eateries, organic grocery stores, smoothie and “green drink” joints, and fresh food restaurants.

The Whole30, as featured in the New York Times bestselling book, It Starts with Food, is a relatively new program has changed the way people diet, consume and live their daily lives.

“Think of it as a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system,” say authors, Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.

The program calls for 30 days of clean eating, “cutting out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups.” It promises to enhance overall wellness, cause a boost in confidence and increase energy without the stressful task of counting or restricting calories.

During the program, it is important to eat foods in their simplest form. Meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruits, oils, nuts, and seeds are all foods that come directly from the earth and are not enhanced with artificial flavors or sweeteners, are natural, and are unprocessed.

After 30 days of clean eating, avoiding junk food, fast food and fake and processed food, the body should feel entirely rejuvenated and refreshed. Cravings for things such as soda and French fries will go away now that the body has been trained to appreciate and process raw and clean food.

Here are a few restaurants in San Diego that cater to this type of diet and offer healthy and delicious options for the conscientious eater. Visit Peace Pies, Evolution Fast Food, Go Raw Life Center, Green Fix Organic Smoothie and Ocean Beach People’s Organic Food Market to start the Whole30 program and begin the pursuit for a healthy mind, body and lifestyle.