Why dressing for success makes a difference in the workplace

Competition is out there and everyone is eager to start their dream internship or career. As students it is our responsibility to apply for internships and eventually have a job with the help of your interning experience. The way you dress and present yourself has a lot to do with your performance and how others view you.

With a dress code in every work place, it is easier to put a professional look together. Some jobs have their own business shirts and you are only required to wear slacks and dress shoes making it so much easier.

Other jobs just imply to wear business attire, what exactly are they referring to? Here are a couple helpful tips for your first day. It is important to know what to wear and how to present yourself when attending a first interview.

Women have a little more room for adding originality and style to their outfit. For example, below the knee skirts (midi skirts), button up blouses, pumps, blazers make for the best business attire. Keep jewelry to a minimum allowing more attention to your entire outfit. Avoid graphic tees, mini skirts and stilettos. Unless applying for a spot in an entertainment position, you should probably stick to a more clean-cut look.

It is important to keep all bottoms or dresses below the knee or around that length to keep the outfit looking professional. Hair should be brushed and styled, avoiding hair in your face will give the interviewee a better chance to be noticed.

Men’s attire is quite simple, a well fitted suit or slacks, a tie and a long sleeve button up will do. Avoid white socks and make sure your dress shoes are clean and polished.

Depending on where you are interning or applying to, dark denim, dress shoes and a button up shirt may be acceptable. Hair style should be clean cut and long hair should be brushed back into a low ponytail. If any piercings or tattoos, make sure they are taken out and tattoos are hidden. This will give you a cleaner appearance and a more business look.

What will make you stand out out of the millions of other people who are applying to the same position? Your appearance and charisma. Remember that less is more. Plain blouses or button ups, clean slacks or a fitted skirt will give you the professional look that will increase your chances on getting that dream job.