Protest the Protest: Fayetteville radio station refuses to broadcast East Carolina University football game

ECU Band members kneeling during the national anthem Saturday, Oct. 1 Photo Credit: Instagram.com/pirateradio1250

Following a large protest during the National Anthem by nineteen East Carolina University band members, the local Fayetteville ESPN radio station will not air ECU’s game against South Florida.

Colonial Media Chairman Jeff Andrulonis wasted no time deciding to pull the plug on the next game’s broadcast. In a long, angry rant, Andrulonis stated, “I’m proud of our country and I’m proud of our soldiers…especially our soldiers from Fort Bragg…fighting for our country so I’ve decided that ESPN Fayetteville will ‘protest the protest.”

Band members channeled their inner Colin Kaepernick and took a knee during the National Anthem before the 47-29 loss against the University of Central Florida.

Andrulonis continued his rant, stating that some of the students “disgraced themselves on the football field” as they exercised their first amendment.

Although Andrulonis may not agree with the band members decision, ECU supports its students. University Chancellor Dr. Cecil Staton showed his support in an official statement saying, “As an institution of higher learning, East Carolina respects the rights of our students, staff and faculty to express their personal views. That is part of the free exchange of ideas on a university campus… We are proud that recent campus conversations on difficult issues have been constructive, meaningful exchanges that helped grow new understanding among our campus community. East Carolina will safeguard the right to free speech, petition and peaceful assembly as assured by the U.S. Constitution.”

By protesting the protest, Andrulonis and Fayetteville ESPN will be stripping many fans of their only source to listen to the game.

Andrulonis cynically stated that, “They’re college students and it’s about time they get an education on the concept that their actions have consequences.” The goal of protesting the protest is to “punish” the nineteen band members for “disrespecting” the flag. However, the decision to not air the game will affect the fans more than the band members. Also, the university technically can reconsider its contract with the company due to its blackout decision. Fayetteville ESPN plans to end its boycott following the USF game.

ECU is ready to snap its three-game losing streak in a showdown in Tampa Bay against South Florida on Saturday. Fans can keep up with the score through the CBS sports app as well as ESPN and other sports websites.