Mesa swimming smells like team spirit

Mesa swimming smells like team spirit

Sports fans have a very selective memory. They remember who made the game-winning shot, or who broke free to score the go-ahead touchdown. But they forget about the rebound and the pass that made the shot possible or wide-receivers who held and executed their blocks downfield which gave the running-back a lane to the end-zone.

Players will often recognize this and give credit to their respective teammates. They know that their level of success is directly attributed to how well they play together. But most importantly, they believe in one another.

As the old adage in sports goes, “There’s no I in team.” Teamwork goes a long way into determining what kind of success a team might have. And that’s exactly what 1st year swimming/diving Head Coach Nathan Resch is preaching to his team.

“We have a goal of establishing team unity, to be able to support one another in practices,” said Resch. “So far, we’ve been the most spirited team out there at the meets we’ve gone to.”

This is in large part due to team captains Josh Denz, and Chelsea Gadzia. Led by them both the team has to look no further when it comes to leadership.

“They’ve been able to develop and establish leadership from within, they’ve been able to help get our student-athletes to practice and support one another in meets.” said Resch.

This is a good thing to have, regardless of whether you’re winning or losing races, being able to support one another helps each other swim faster.”

Adding to the mix of team chemistry is the plethora of outstanding swimmers. Which include, breaststroker/individual medley J.K. Barnes, Freestyler Cody Grant, distance freestyler Kerry Bekkedahl.

On the women’s side you have freshman backstroker Sasha Beltran, breaststroker Whitney Porter and freestyler Kayla Ahlberg. A good numbers team made up of 20 women and 15 men, including a good core group on the women’s side with experience.

Meets will come with a heightened sense of competition as bragging rights are up for grabs, now that the swim team has left the Orange Empire Conference and moved into the Pacific Coast Conference.

“It’s all San Diego schools, Southwestern, Grossmont, and Palomar,” said Resch. “That will give us some good competition to swim against.”