Swell in San Diego

Swell in San Diego

With increasing temperatures and frequent cloudless skies, more surfers are paddling back into the waves as warmer weather starts nudging its way into San Diego.

Of course it’s going to take a little more time for winter to fade, storms to subside and for days to become longer but soon enough the warmer water from the South Pacific will move on up allowing comfortable evening surf jaunts.

True, it may be a little early to get too hopeful for wetsuitless days and nights but many beachgoers are feeling anxious for the beloved warm San Diego water to return.

Already beachgoers and surfers alike notice that crowds are starting to pick up. Favorite surf spots such as Ocean Beach, Mission, Sunset Cliffs and Pacific Beach are becoming increasingly popular during comfortable beach weather.

Frequent visitors of Ocean Beach typically not only enjoy the fast breaks and decent corners, but also can take part in the amusement of the underground beach culture.

“Seeing them reminds me why I’m going to college,” surfer Andrew Coyle said.

At Sunset Cliffs if one can bare the paddle out some 200 yards spectacular swells and excellent corners are really common.

“The reef bottom at Sunset helps protect the swells from getting blown out”, surfer Remko Diderech stated.

Though Mission Beach is often a tourist magnet, some surfers will argue that it has the best chillax’n waves in San Diego. At PB the surf often offers some pretty sick rides especially right off the pier.

Though these are mostly just the closest local beaches they each offer a different experience and skill level for every surfer.

And although surfers often urge others to try out their sport, knowledge of the basic rules is an absolute necessity! The easiest way to make an enemy is to drop in on them when they’ve already caught a wave. However, sometimes dropping in can be purely accidental and an apology is usually accepted freely. Just learn and don’t do it again.

Looking forward, surfers are expecting a really good season this year. With global warming the water is becoming warmer earlier and staying warm well into September allowing a longer warm-water season. Though global warming is condemned by most everyone, there are a few who enjoy the effects of a warming climate and comfortable water.

There is one controversy however that has arisen that will impact a lot of beachgoers this summer. A decision made by San Diego City Council has banned alcoholic beverages on Mission beach. The decision was made after some conflicts arose this past summer.

Some people think it’s a really good idea and some aren’t too thrilled.

“I’m for and against it; I’m torn in between. I’m for the ban because it keeps people from being too wild and it helps keep the beach cleaner. I’m against the ban though because responsible people just want to go out and pop a few beers to relax sometimes.” Says Michelle Long, surfer and frequent beachgoer.

Though the ban is being strictly enforced it doesn’t change that fact that many beachgoers and surfers will enjoy the upcoming summer.

There’s really no other feeling like it when one has the chance to float out on the waves especially at sundown. Summer brings the perfect opportunity for those times when one can sit in the warm water and watch the sun go down over the Pacific then turn around and watch a deep-orange moon float up over the city’s lights. There is a sort of detachment from the trials and realities of everyday life that is experienced when out on the waves. It’s a sort of therapy that helps ease the mind and body.