Sports coverage in Mesa Press lacking

Dear Readers,

As you have probably noticed, we have had a lack of Mesa-based sports stories this semester. This is not due to laziness or lack of school spirit on the staff; this is due to lack of responses from Mesa coaches. The Mesa Press has attempted to get into contact with them in a variety of ways, and received virtually no responses, with a few exceptions, which we profoundly appreciate.

We understand that coaches have tight schedules, having to coach, head to out-of-town matches, and still maintain a living for themselves, but it is ridiculous how they do not respond to us. We too have tight schedules, with our own jobs and having to study for classes. The least they could do is e-mail us or call us back to let us know something; anything instead of just blowing us off.

In our experience, the student athletes have pretty much been ecstatic to have their sports written about; to know that all of their hard work for whatever team they are on is actually being noticed instead of going under the radar. They have a lot going on as well, and we understand that.

Ultimately, when we only have one sports story an issue, it causes a severe lack of interest in the sports. Past Mesa athletes have earned a variety of honors. Some of our former students have gone pro in the past. For example, just last year, Mesa had two baseball players go to the professional league: Griff Erickson to the Los Angeles Dodgers and Bryan Paukovits to the Kansas City Royals.

It’s strange how the students want to read about the sports at Mesa, but the coaches are so reluctant to promote their own players.

So our solution is this: to the student athletes, if you really want your sport written about, contact us at mesa.press@gmail.com or 619-388-2630. Or even the coaches that are reading this with spring or fall sports, please let us know if we have neglected your sport and you would like coverage.

Sincerely,

Holly Benderman, Sports Editor