Mesa baseball building on team chemistry

Last season ended in disappointment, but Coach Kevin Hazlett is optimistic about the chemistry brewing and foresees success in the future of the Mesa men’s baseball team

Coach Hazlett, who has been coaching baseball at Mesa College for 18 years, has never seen this kind of unity between his players.

“This is as close of a group of teammates as I have seen ever,” said Hazlett.

That level of confidence is being felt by the players as well.

“This is the closest family that I have ever been with as a team,” said sophomore center fielder Allen Boyer. “I know that everyone on that field puts in 100 percent,” said Boyer.

The chemistry of this team is unnatural, especially as a young team, and they feel that it will carry them to a successful season.

“The teams that I have been on that have won more games have been closer together,” said sophomore pitcher Darren Gay. “I think we are going to be good this year because we all mesh.”

The trust that Gay feels about his teammates when he is on the mound is a huge confidence booster. He knows that all eight players around him on the field will do everything they can to help him.

Coach Hazlett feels that the team can do a lot of things well this year. The strengths of the team revolve around the offense. However, Hazlett also feels that defensively they are very strong as well.

With a young pitching staff this year, Coach Hazlett feels that it will improve, but they are still in the learning process. He knows that pitching at the college level is different from the high school level, but he knows that his pitchers are getting better.

The companionship of this team was shown with a huge comeback win against College of the Desert on Feb. 3. The Olympians were down 6-1 in the fourth inning and were able to rally together as a team and win 13-7. That win showed the amount of confidence the Olympians and that this team never gives up.

The Olympians still have a long road to travel as it is very early in the season, but there is that confidence factor flowing through the team right now that is bringing this team closer and closer with every practice they go through and every game they play. The Olympians will be heading to Bakersfield to play Moorpark College on Feb. 13.