San Diego’s motorcycle craze is in high gear

The love for high-speed thrills, powerful mechanics and the ultimate adrenaline rush has caused the San Diego motorcycle craze to develop into an organized community of different clubs.

Each club has their own set of rules, requirements, expectations and activities. A common activity among these clubs is their bike nights, social gatherings held in public places where both members and non-members get the chance to meet, chat, mingle, showcase their bikes and discuss the latest in the bike community.

“I make sure my club stays love and family oriented, I take safety very seriously. Stunts on freeways, drunk riding, missing meetings and especially any kind of drug usage I have a zero tolerance policy for,” said president of 1 Nation Ryderz motorcycle club Donneto Brown.

Bike nights also serve as relaxing environments where working people can relieve stress and unwind from the hardships of everyday life, which is especially beneficial to the average hardworking student.

“Going to bike nights gives me something to look forward to during the week, it’s an opportunity to socialize and plan rides and other social events,” said college student and rider Sean Duggan.

Club activities however, are not limited to pleasantly laid back events like bike nights. When dealing with speed machines ranging in levels of power, the best of which reach speeds in excess of 280 miles per hour, competition is inevitable. Races are one of the more popular and daring events conducted, winners earn bragging rights but many compete for sheer thrill and entertainment. Amidst the socialization and adrenaline fixations, alliances and brotherhoods are created.

One Nation member Jason Thompson added, “It has gotten to the point where the club is like my family. I can depend on them in the motorcycle scene or situations not even closely related to bikes. We are here for each other no matter what.”