Men’s Volleyball eyes future success

With a roster filled with first year players, Coach John Landicho and his men’s volleyball coaching staff are set on building a successful program.

“As it is my first year as head coach, me and my coaching staff are trying to lay a long-term foundation for a program that now has its fourth coach in five years,” replied Landicho.

“Our initial goals are to get some wins and become the strongest program in SD County in the next five years.”

Last season Mesa went 0-18 and only won two total sets in all 18 of their matches. This season Mesa has one victory and has won nine sets.

Although men’s volleyball started this season 0-8 before picking up their first victory, they have performed better than last season’s winless team.

On March 11, in Mesa’s first victory, the Olympians showed poise as they won a tough 30-26 set on their way to sweep City College.

Tremendous serving and hitting propelled Mesa to victory. Cody Reeves returned to the lineup after suffering an illness. He tallied 17 kills and contributed nine digs.

Mitch Wissing, the lead middle blocker, and starting setter Stephen Speiker played a big role in Mesa’s victory against City College. Wissing added 14 kills while Speiker’s setting ability guided Mesa to finish the match with a .464 hitting efficiency. He also added 41 assists.

Wissing, Speiker, and Tyler D’Egidio, the number one outside hitter have provided consistent quality performances throughout the season.

D’Egidio and Wissing were teammates at the University of Pacific before transferring to Mesa College this season. Speiker, a freshman this season from Ramona High School, was the 2008 All-CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) setter.

“It’s been a lot of work to put in place the appropriate pieces of a program that looks for long-term success,” eluded Landicho. “I was hired late last April and yet I’m still continually discovering new ideas on how I want the program to run & how I want it to serve the student-athletes.”

Landicho knows that the rebuilding process will take a few seasons but he is confident on the outcome of his goal and plans for men’s volleyball.

“My assistant coaches, Matt Wilkinson & Danny Hughes, are outstanding teachers of the sport of volleyball, as well as making better human beings through athletics,” said Landicho. “If we can over time attract more talented high school volleyball players to the program, I’m confident with the strength of our training gym, we can produce quality men’s volleyball teams for the college.”

The Olympians next match will be held here at Mesa on March 27 when the Olympians host Golden West College at 4 P.M. Also look out for key conference matches later during the season. Mesa hosts Grossmont on April 4 and Palomar on April 8.